• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boosting rear leafs with coils on top of leafs?

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey ... My rears are a little lower than my front now (just replaced my fronts), and I'm wondering if it would be possible to boost the rear leafs with coils on top of the leafs?

Anyone seen that? Link?

Thanks.

I work with a toyota guy that runs 38.5in. boggers. He used coils for helper springs on his rear leafs. I have know idea how it works in the rocks, he's mostly a mud guy.

go read through the ghetto fab thread on pirate. combining suspensions is a pretty common joke in there. build a bastard pack.

How much lower is the rear? A little bit is not a bad thing. If an inch+ then maybe HDOffroad shackle relocation bracket kit

Yeah ... I'll do the bastard pack. I've got my old rear leafs, I'll take the longest leaf from them and add that to the existing leafs .

When I got my jx, the front and back were low. I replaced the rears 6 years ago with factory leafs (HD "Upcountry") from the dealership. A couple of months ago, I replaced the fronts with stock HD springs, and the front is about 1.5" or more above the rear.

The bastard pack will probably be the best bet, but I thought it might be interesting to try a hybrid.

I have what looks like an aftermarket/dealer (?) installed tow package on my XJ. There's a set of smaller coils on the axle just inside the leaf springs. Tube mounts with u-bolts holding them on and all that look like they have been there since day 1.

I would make my own leaf pack over going through the hassle of installing/making something like that. It rode like crap for the short time it was actually on the road.

I have what looks like an aftermarket/dealer (?) installed tow package on my XJ. There's a set of smaller coils on the axle just inside the leaf springs. Tube mounts with u-bolts holding them on and all that look like they have been there since day 1.

I would make my own leaf pack over going through the hassle of installing/making something like that. It rode like crap for the short time it was actually on the road.

Thanks for letting me know about that. What was crappy about how it rode?

For the BP, The single spare main leaf with the eyes cut off, should about level it. If not make it slightly taller in the rear.

Cool ... thanks for that. I was picturing myself taking the rear leafs off, building them, putting them back on and checking for height, and repeating till I puke.

In theory, you can leave your main leaf attached to your vehicle and build your BP. If you need more lift than what the main leaf gives you, maybe use an MJ shackle.

You could try what I did. Install Monroe load leveler shocks. They have a coil spring wrapped around them, and I got around an inch lift from these.
I have also done the extra XJ main leaf for a lift of around another inch. Keep in mind, I have extended shackles too, so without them, the extra main leaf will likely give more lift than I experienced.

You could try what I did. Install Monroe load leveler shocks. They have a coil spring wrapped around them, and I got around an inch lift from these.
I have also done the extra XJ main leaf for a lift of around another inch. Keep in mind, I have extended shackles too, so without them, the extra main leaf will likely give more lift than I experienced.

Are the stock shock mounts strong enough to support that kind of pressure?

Hmm nice to know. I thought the bar pins would give out or something cuz i read about people bending and breaking bar pins all the time with normal shocks.

Hmm nice to know. I thought the bar pins would give out or something cuz i read about people bending and breaking bar pins all the time with normal shocks.

I have Rocky Road BPE's all around, and run stock length shocks.
With 2.5 inches of lift, this is no problem as the BPE's give the shocks 1.5 inches more length.
I actually have a 3 inch lift in back, but when carrying loads, it compresses to 2.5"

So I just did the eye leaf Adaleaf and I would have to say it rides so nice now.One thing to look at is which one has more arch put that one on the Passanger side because of the chronic torq sag that the right side gets .

I agree, it rides better than stock with the extra XJ main leaf.
The coil wrapped shocks ride a little springy at first, but they eventually become less so, as they break in. It also rides better with a load in back.

Back