• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Epoxy Flooring

Congrats.

I have no experience with it, but have been contenplating putting some in my garage for a while.

Just wanted to say congrats on the house closing. Where is it located?

Last edited:
Ok, just got the word, he used the quikcrete stuff for his garage floor. However, he says it's not the product itself that effed up, it's the urethane they coated it with. It's an option, he says, and a bad one haha. So just don't coat it with urethane. He also says don't waste your money and just buy race deck... the man speaks the truth :D

racedeck_tilefloors.JPG

I give some advice since I have it at home, and have it in our dealership for 15 years.
You need to spend the money for the good stuff, epoxy first with a urethane top coat, the floor prep needs to be sandblasted or prepped with a shot peen machine or you are wasting your time. The negative is 5 years down the road it will be beat and it is a pain in the ass to fill the chips and re-coat, also what people forget is if you weld, it will burn holes right threw the coating and you will have thousands of little craters. It is really good for seeing everything you work on, brightens up your lighting very well. There is a new trend where you diamond grind you floor and seal it, looks pretty cool and does not wear.

The urethane is what keeps the epoxy from turning yellow from the UV's also stops the tires from peeling up the epoxy, epoxy has low adhesion, that is why you here a lot of people ending up with there floor suck to the car tires. Pacific Polymers makes some good product, I believe for around $150.00 a gallon. I found this out researching for 6 months before doing our shop and talking to other dealerships that have tried out several company's.

Rich is right, it's all in the prep work. When you gonna do it? I might be able to help you out, if you need it.....

Mike....I work for Lowes and have had quite a bit of feedback on these products... You need to do it when it has been warm for awhile. Not just a warm day or weekend. I have a couple pretty sharp guys in my paint dept and they both said that they wouldnt even consider doing it until we have had at least 2 weeks of weather on the warmer side. I have had people apply it in the dead of winter on a unusually hot weekend and it never sets up completely...Sticks to tires etc..... Done at the right time, it is awsome and works great....Just some input from guys that work with it....

come look at my floor if you like.

almost 4 yrs later, many many many cages and susp setup have been fab'd and gear oil by the quarts on it as well as on fire many times. Just abused beyond belief really.

Besides the the real heavy things (14 bolt, dana 60, etc) that have been drug across the floor and dug up the coating, it is still just as gray as when I started and held up fantastic. Not to mention never had any hot transfer issues. '

I used the homo depot rustolium (i think thats what it is, its thier basic kit they sell) and I Love it.

well i install flooring... you could use VCT. If you look at a store and the tiles they have is the stuff im talking about. Its not that hard to do. You can do any design you would like from checker board, to boarder, to words.... Also with anything you add to the floor let me stress the prep!!! Make sure the concrete is completly clean... also to make sure it gets a good contact i would get a buffer and sand the concrete a little bit to get rid of any really smooth surfaces.

Hmm, lots of different info. Thanks for the replies.

As far as prep work, I was just planning on pressure washing it, and they sell a product and lowes that's a prep/cleaner for it. Degreaser and what not. But that would make the concrete cold.

As far as the heat thing goes, I don't really have a choice as far as waiting goes for it to get hotter. It's this Saturday or never. I got too much junk to take into the garage on moving day and then take it all out again to do the coating. I would never do it.

Rich: Where can I pick up the pacific poly stuff? Is that what you used at the dealer? What about the home?

Maybe I'll just say screw it and leave it up to some pro's. Wonder how much that would set me back, and if it's too late to get em to do it this Saturday. :D

I don't like the race deck. Looks hard to clean. I'm messy. Maybe if it was perfectly smooth or something without seams

Last edited:
Congrats.

I have no experience with it, but have been contenplating putting some in my garage for a while.

Just wanted to say congrats on the house closing. Where is it located?

Thanks. Not opening the champagne quite yet. Still got a couple of days until it officially closes.

It's in the north east end of Escondido. Around Citrus/El Norte Parkway.

I used the Rustoleum product on my garage. Preping with a tanic acid helps a lot too. Floor prep is critical, it has to be clean.
One thing is for sure, you will LOVE it.
Only the middle bay in my garage has it and it is by far the easiest area to keep clean.

Here you go mike http://www.pacpoly.com/
Just remember, If you are going to use you floor, and it is not just for looks, buy the real good stuff. All the stuff you buy from Lowe's/Home Depot will not hold up worth a crap to chemicals, you need to buy a product that is designed for chemical usage. At least the guys at Pac Poly can give you some feedback. I also can give you a number to StoneHard who does most dealer floors.

All the stuff you buy from Lowe's/Home Depot will not hold up worth a crap to chemicals,

I DISAGREE. Sorry...

But my floor has been subject to just as much chemical leakage, spillage and plain dumping as most any commercial garage and besides the 2 cans of hammerlite that have exploded and splattered a area of my floor, it cleans up very nicely. I Did Not top coat it either. I spill or spray on it regularly; gas, gear oil, brake parts cleaner, motor oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, and then use that purple degreaser to clean it all up.

I have the kit from Home depot on my garage floor, and like other paint projects your outcome will only be as good as your prep! I prepped the floor once until i thought it was good enough and then did it again, making sure that the concrete had no moisture left in it. and rolled on the paint. That was 4 years ago and it still looks now like the day i put it on. And i've beat the hell out of it. Including parked my Roush with hot sticky 315 series tires on it!:scared: I've very pleased with how it's held up! As a small work of advice I used the gray with the colored chips in it. Buy a small pouch of clear Silica sand and sprinkle it over the floor as well just to give it a slight bit of texture. That sealed floor is 3 times slicker than ice when it wet without. ask me how i know!

Back