• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NTK vs BOSCH o2 Sensors

Mr Clean 1

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, y'all, my '01 limited is throwing codes P0161, 0155, 0141, 0135, both up and downstream o2 sensors causing havoc. Between NTK and Bosch, which is a better choice?
Regarding NTK, I have 3 of the four o2 sensor part numbers. The only downstream o2 number I was able to locate is NTK #23099. The two upstream part numbers are #23151 and #23506. Are the two downstream part numbers the same #23099?
Bosch o2's have 4 part numbers for the '01 XJ #13122, 13138, 15465, and 13100. Who's the better choice or is there another o2 I should consider?
Also, if my cat was bad/clogged due to the o2's failing, wouldn't I see code P0420? It was replaced in Jan. 2019. Thanks, y'all:patriot:

I'd go with NTK or MOPAR. No direct experiences with Bosch being bad. Still, others recommend NTK over Bosch.

I'd go with NTK or MOPAR. No direct experiences with Bosch being bad. Still, others recommend NTK over Bosch.
I'd def go with MOPAR if I could take that $275+ cost difference hit. Regarding NTK, are you aware of the second downstream part number, or are they both the same #23099?

I had to check what year XJ you had. So, '01. So, I don't have experience dealing with that O2 setup. That is except to take that section of the manifold over to my neighbors scrap pile.
Yes, I do have an '01 XJ, but basically just a shell.
You might look at Rock Auto. They did list MOPAR for under $100 each. I did a search on Ebay by the MOPAR number. Some listings a bit less that Rock Auto, but not much. I don't know how much the Downstream O2 effects on an '01. So, I don't know if I'd go with a cheaper O2 on the downstream, as I would on earlier XJs. Does the '01 or '00 Cali have an O2 by the muffler?

Numerous threads tell of problems related to Bosch O2 sensors that were"cured" by installing NTK O2 sensors. Many of these threads also say NTK supplied Chrysler/Jeep O2 sensors.

YMMV.

Numerous threads tell of problems related to Bosch O2 sensors that were"cured" by installing NTK O2 sensors. Many of these threads also say NTK supplied Chrysler/Jeep O2 sensors.

YMMV.
Good to know, thnx.

When o2's in an XJ go bad, should all 4 be replaced at the same time? I replaced the 2 upstream in Jan. after the CEL came on with the 4 listed codes. The CEL went out for 2 weeks and the 4 codes returned not long after. Would the 2 new o2's fail that quick since the 2 downstream were not replaced?

Those codes are for the heater circuit. I think is rather odd that all 4 would go out and be the sensors themselves. Have you checked the heater circuit itself? Do you have 12v at each of the sensor's heater connector?

O2 sensors have a service life of about +/- 150,000 miles. Typical they just get old and slow to respond, which often does not set a CEL trouble code.

Always use the trouble codes to diagnose and trouble shoot.

O2 sensors can be ruined very quickly by exposure to carbon, silicone, lead, antifreeze, chemicals, salt, dirt, oil residue or other impurities in the exhaust gases.

Those codes are for the heater circuit. I think is rather odd that all 4 would go out and be the sensors themselves. Have you checked the heater circuit itself? Do you have 12v at each of the sensor's heater connector?

I thought the same thing that it's odd al 4 would fail. So when it comes to checking for 12v at each of the sensors heat connectors, no idea on how to do this.

On my 1990 the O2 sensor heat is supplied by one of the relays in the engine bay. I suggest a wire diagram for your year model would help trace the wires for this. Also make sure the connectors at the sensor are good, and try measure the voltage there for the heater, measure with the sensor plugged in and heating.

good luck

All four O2 sensors going bad at once? Seems like a very big coincidence.
All four of the O2 heaters share a common ground slice, S107, and all of them ground at the same point, G101 (located on the right side of the engine).
I would do some more troubleshooting before spending a lot of money on new sensors, you could be very disappointed to find that it does not help if the issue is a bad ground.
An FSM for your year XJ is an excellent investment and will show the wiring diagrams, along with color codes.

Check the o2 heater fuse(s) too. Get the simple stuff out of the way.

Back