• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about straighting a B pillar

xjluvr

NAXJA Forum User
wreck003.jpg
wreck004.jpg

That's the carnage, obtained by a Ford Ranger backing out of his driveway to fast.
I tried to pull it out from outside the rig, didn't work real well.
I have a porta power, will it work from inside or will it push out the other side?
I just need to get it straight enough to put the doors back on someday.
I plan to replace the bent up rocker with box tube anyway so that dont matter.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

Just by looking at the pics, I doubt you can straighten that with a porta power even just to get the doors on, looks like a frame machine job

hackedxj said:
Just by looking at the pics, I doubt you can straighten that with a porta power even just to get the doors on, looks like a frame machine job
Thought that at first also. A buddy of mine who works at a body shop said that the jeep itself is still straight, the "frame" is not bent, just the rocker and the b pillar. He was worried that if the porta power is used that it will push the other side being that this is a uni body.
Another shot
wreck002.jpg

Last edited:
I´ve strightend some pretty serious stuff, using some wood blocks, a 10,000 strap and another vehicle. I always try to keep in mind, how it was crushed and try to work it in reverse. Most has turned out pretty fair. If you do push with the porta power, use some wood blocks and spread the load on the opposite side of the truck, keep a close watch.
I´d give straightening a shot, if it didn´t work out, I´d probably cut out the damaged section and weld in a new pillar.

Since the guy hit you HIS insurance get to pay to fix your XJ, not you. Do not take it upon your self to fix his mess up. I hope you got a police report and have filed a claim with his insurance company. It does not matter if you only have liability, he HAS TO pay to fix your vehicle. His company may try to total your XJ but stand firm... I did.

Take it to a body shop and have them pull it straight. I had a similar hit on the driver's side. The body shop pulled it straight then installed a 1/2 of a rocker panel and the dog leg from a rear quarter panel.

Believe it or not it is cheaper to buy new rocker panels and quarter panels from the dealer than to get used ones from the junk yard. I'd look into getting new rocker panel and b pillar. You can pick up salvage doors at the junk yard, they are cheaper than new from the dealer.

It up to you about paint but any body shop should pull it straight for you. They will install new metal if necessary. It up to you how much you want to spend on your XJ. I had too much money into mine replacing everything due to age and mileage. I basically had a new XJ with 1988 sheet metal when the 19 year old coed ran the light and hit me at the stop light.

I spent the extra and paid the shop to give my 88 XJ a full paint job and picked up all new badges at the dealer. I was impressed Chrysler still have them in stock and every badge was less than a year old according to the parts label.

He has no ins. I have uninsured motorist on my policy.
I think that this may be the way to do it Martin, i have a friend who works at a body shop, I think I will take it to them Monday and get a price on fixing it.
My insurance will probaly sue him but oh well!

Yes, file under your uninsured and get your XJ fixed. You should not suffer cause he did not have insurance, he is still responsbile. You have to pay for that uninsured policy, now use it....

I will warn you that the insurance company may try to total it, you better get your maintenance records in order. Have them so you can show them to the adjuster. Alabama has this stupid salvage title law if damage is greater than 75% of of book value you have to apply for a salvage title. Hope your state does not have that madness.

Thanks for the advice Martin, and yes we have the same salvage title bs, luckily I work for a wrecker co. salvage title is not a big deal.
I hope to have my body shop friend give low estimates. He can do the work from his home, which will save some cash.

xjluvr said:
A buddy of mine who works at a body shop said that the jeep itself is still straight, the "frame" is not bent, just the rocker and the b pillar.
You sure about that? that looks like a strong enough hit to damage the frame rail. Can you get a shot of the floor (from underneat) at the point of impact as it connects to the frame rail? ALso you might want to take a straight edge and compare right and left sides and make sure that the side with the impact is in the same shape as the opposing side.

Kejtar said:
You sure about that? that looks like a strong enough hit to damage the frame rail. Can you get a shot of the floor (from underneat) at the point of impact as it connects to the frame rail? ALso you might want to take a straight edge and compare right and left sides and make sure that the side with the impact is in the same shape as the opposing side.

I think you should be okay. The grooves stamped in the floorpan in this area tend to allow the floor to buckle before transmiting the force to the "framerail". I'mn guessing yours looked something like this with the door on:
581343_16_full.jpg

Does'nt look so bad here but the pillar was drove in about 3" and the floor pan bowed up several inches. You could fit your hand between the top of the rear door and the body. Had it pulled at a body shop, framerail was still perfectly straight, except for where the lower control arm mount was drove back into it.

Tony

Even though the frame it's self isn't damaged it will still need to go on a frame machine. The crumpled metal needs to be pulled out straightening the floor pan and getting the body dimentions right. A side impact that hard not only pushes in the rocker but as the rocker goes in it draws the front and rear of the jeep together, in your case in will be only a slight amount maybe 1/2 inch, not enough to see just by looking but when you replace the doors they will seem to long. The insurance will want to total it more than likely, they'll pay you want they think it's worth, usely give you the option of buying it back at a reasonable price.This is my business and deal with this type situation daily.Hope it goes well for ya.

Kejtar said:
Heres a shot from the bottom, looks like most if not all the damage is in the rockers.
floor001.jpg

BTW this is not my DD so asthetics are not a concern.
Just as long is it can be pulled somewhat straighter than what it is now, I'm good with it!

xjluvr said:
Heres a shot from the bottom, looks like most if not all the damage is in the rockers.
floor001.jpg

BTW this is not my DD so asthetics are not a concern.
Just as long is it can be pulled somewhat straighter than what it is now, I'm good with it!

Can't really tell too well but it doesn't look bad as near as I can tell. I was afraid that the impact would get transfered to the frame rail bit it looks like it survived.
Btw, after you straighten it do you have any plans in regards to reinforcing the rocker panel? cause that probably lost any structural strength it had.

most aftermarket rockers mount to the pinch seam, so id assume that is a structual part of the rig, and having a bent one (pinch Seam) doent appeal to me in the slightist....

good luck with insurance companies...

XJ_ranger said:
most aftermarket rockers mount to the pinch seam, so id assume that is a structual part of the rig, and having a bent one (pinch Seam) doent appeal to me in the slightist....

good luck with insurance companies...
When looking at rockrails get one with square tubing that ties into the pinch seam instead of angle iron. Or make your own :)

Kejtar said:
When looking at rockrails get one with square tubing that ties into the pinch seam instead of angle iron. Or make your own :)
The entire rocker will be replaced with 2x4 or even 4x4 boxed tubing, even thought about boat siding it, but box tube rockers sound a little stronger.

Back