• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

0331 TUPY head stamp through oil cap?

95cherokee96

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 2000 XJ and read that you could read the stamp “TUPY” on the head if you look through the oil cap with a flashlight. When I look in it is blank and can’t seem to find any markings. Does this mean I have a different head or is it just not stamped on some?

My 2000 (bought it new off the lot) when I tore it apart to build my stroker, did not have any stamp. It's the same ported/polished head I'm running today.

Ive got a 2000 XJ and read that you could read the stamp “TUPY” on the head if you look through the oil cap with a flashlight. When I look in it is blank and can’t seem to find any markings. Does this mean I have a different head or is it just not stamped on some?

The original 0331 heads were not TUPY.

Cherokees never were equipped with a TUPY head, they were not manufactured until 2002 or 2003 and are found on TJ and WJ 4.0 engines .
Pics here.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-silverback-868695/index15.html#post9187589

This.

I just did the valve cover gasket on my 01 yesterday and looked for the 0331 that's supposed to be visible looking through the oil fill hole but nothing. Did find the 0331 number outside the valve cover surface on the drivers side of the head. Why wasn't there a casting make between the valves?

My 2k didn't have those markings either.

All XJ 4.0 head casting numbers are located at the edge of the casting and are plainly visible with the valve cover installed. Only the TUPY casting mark is located near the valve springs and it is visible by looking into the oil fill cap.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Back