• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leak around slave cylinder

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I was changing the oil on my manual trans today and noticed that there was kind of an oily area around my slave cylinder. On the adjacent sheet metal and the transmission bell housing.

I have been having some hard shifting in all gears including reverse. So the question is: clutch, slave cylinder, master/slave hose, or something else.

Is it better to just rebuild the slave cylinder at $18 or replace at $90. Also, with the leakage, what is the chance that my clutch is hosed ? Will it solve my trouble to just fix the slave cylinder?

OK on the '96, is the slave hydraulic components all 'external' to the bell housing, or is the throw out bearing assembly hydraulic as well? I know there was some kind of change, but could not tell what the change was.

My kit is:
'96 XJ SE 2 door 4wd
4L HO with A/C
5 speed Manual transmission (ax-15??)

Tom :anon:

Last edited:
How much seapage is around the slave cylinder? If there is only a small amount then the odds are that the clutch is not affected.
Personally I would spend the extra $$$ and just buy a new slave cylinder instead of risking the chances of it continuing to leak.
If the clutch is contaminated then this is a good time to go thru the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and hydraulics.
How many miles are on the clutch (original?) ?
Your '96 has the external hydraulic actuator so it should be a relatively easy swap. Make sure to completely replace the old hydraulic fluid since it can become contaminated with moisture.

The area around the slave looks wet and extends onto the bell housing. I appears that there is some oil dripping off of the bottom of the bell housing, but I can not tell if it is inside of the housing, or has just accumulated on the exterior and then ran down.

I looked around online and for close to the locally quoted price for just the slave, I can get the master/slave kits. I will have to call and see what a m/s kit costs. I like to buy locally when I can.

I don't know how many miles are on the clutch, but the truck has around 78 K miles so it maybe the origional clutch.

So if I get you right on the external actuator - I have a somewhat conventional through-out bearing / lever and the slave connects to the lever?? And there is no hydraulics inside of the clutch?

So am I correct in thinking that if the slave was leaking just enough, it would not allow proper actuation of the clutch as there would be pressure loss in the line? And that could/would be the sole cause of my clutch troubles?

The last clutch I worked on was on my '63 Chevy Impala that had a 350 small block and manual 4 speed - that was over 20 years ago.

edit:

While looking at the master/slave kits, one said for left hand drive and the other for right hand drive. I am guessing (not assuming) that I need the left hand drive kit??

Last edited:
My clutch is not grabby - except in first gear and I have always had that trouble. I have the same diff setup as you but 3.07 gears with the 30 inch tires. First gear has always been bad - I wish that I had a grany low insetad of what I have. I don't have any trouble in reverse since that is a lower gear ratio than first.

I don't hear any noise out of the clutch/trany so we hope everything is OK. I will go with the slave cyl replacement first and if I need to I can always go for the clutch later.

I called O'Rileys tonight and they had a slave cylinder for $44, so I am just going to replace it. Heck, for that kind of $$, why rebuild.

Is the plastic hose for the clutch a speciality item, or should I be able to get that at the parts store as a 'generic' type tubing - able to hold up to dot3 fluid? The parts store did not show any listing for the tubing.

Should one replace the tubing as insurance? Does anyone make a heavy duty version?

Tom

Back