• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What long arm suspension would you buy with 2k?

PavementPrincess

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve researched every damn suspension kit available and I can’t pull the trigger on any of them. I’m gonna have to buy rims, tires, sye, rear shaft. That’s why 2k is my limit. I understand “buy once, cry once” I simply just don’t have the budget. My jeeps a 2001 xj 4x4 limited. Rebuilt a 8.25 for the rear, built a hp30 for the front. Plan on running 33” tire may step up to 35”s in the future. Looking for 5”-6.5” options. Will be wheeling in the Pacific Northwest trails. No serious rock crawling. Will see snow and sand on occasion as well. I have a list of companies based on my budget. What I’ve seen is Clayton, TNT, RK, and BDS exceed my budget. What I’ve researched is to stay away from rough country and Rusty’s, for quality and customer service. That lead me to full traction, iron rock, and rubicon express. I’ve hear people don’t like the iron rock caster adj, and people have complained about full traction’s sway bar disco. Rubicon express has seemed like a decent choice. I know this has been covered in the past so feel free to flame away I just thought I’d get some good feedback from people who use jeeps the way you should!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There is no "one" lift kit that has everything right, that's why I would piece together a kit!

If you call TNT they can piece together something for you. Otherwise I'd maybe find the short arm kit that best fits what you want and upgrade to long arms later. I would also recommend you stick with a 4.5" lift, there is no need for a 6.5" lift to fit 35's.

My dad had an old RE kit on his 97 GC. 6.5” on short arms but boy that thing would flex on some 33s. Another good part was point where you wanna go, put your foot in it and you’ll be there. Good part about RE is they offer rebuild components so you can service the lift parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no "one" lift kit that has everything right, that's why I would piece together a kit!

Correct answer.
I'd build it around the Clayton set- have on my 90, and will on my son's 97. Possibly the wife's 94 ZJ as well.

I'd rumble on a decent SA kit, or look into IRO new 3 link. You could also look at Cavfab. Really best bet would be to piece together your own kit, but I understand it's nice to have a one and done option. Didn't see it listed in there but I'd honestly get front and rear traction over more lift or LA. 33's on a decent 4.5" SA lift with good traction will take you to most anywhere you want to go especially if your not rock hopping.

Iron rock has a full 3 link now, they sell a whole kit. or get the 4.5 or 5.5" lift, stick with short arms for now. If you go iron rock get the doestech shocks.

I know at my budget I won’t get everything I want. I was mainly wanting to hear reliability concerns with any lifts I mentioned.

Considering my budget and everything I’ve looked at I’m leaning towards the 3 link iron rock kit. Gonna get either 5.5” or 6.5” I’d rather not completely cut up my fenders

Well if the 3 link from iron rock is good quality then I think that’s the route I’ll take.

personally I think the IRO 3 link gives the best bang for your buck, yes there are better kits out there and each has their quirks or complaints but none are as cheap as the IRO kit. and ive never had a reason to complain about anything I have gotten from them, plus top notch customer support

You won't have to cut your fenders much at all with 33's and a 4.5" lift, especially if you bump stop accordingly. I was fitting 33's on my rig just fine with the stock flares still on it before I went to 35's.

You won't have to cut your fenders much at all with 33's and a 4.5" lift, especially if you bump stop accordingly. I was fitting 33's on my rig just fine with the stock flares still on it before I went to 35's.
I still havnt bump stopped mine... not sayin I cant get it to rub the flares if I flex it out. but for normal driving your fine. I also have never had them touch my rear flares at all.

Well if the 3 link from iron rock is good quality then I think that’s the route I’ll take.

I've always liked my IRO stuff. Yes there are some better items out there but for the money they have always done solid by me.

If you go that route I'd stick at 5.5" max.

I still havnt bump stopped mine... not sayin I cant get it to rub the flares if I flex it out. but for normal driving your fine. I also have never had them touch my rear flares at all.

Depends on your tire width and backspacing too. I couldn't turn out of my driveway without cutting lugs up front with my 33x12.50's on 3.75" backspaced wheels and 4.5" lift. Banged on the pinch seam inside the wheel well and all was good for normal driving until I trimmed the fenders so I could bang it on some rocks.

Back