• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994, key fob will not lock/unlock the doors after programming

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have tried two of the receivers and still no luck. I think its something else so I need some steering in the right direction to troubleshoot. The transmitter(key fob) seems to be working. I programmed it to the owners manual instructions

Well the range on these door locks is not a huge distance. I never used the one for my 99, but the 98 has one and it seems to work if you are not super far away. Make sure both the battery of the Xj and the remote are good. They tend to not respond well if one or the other has an old battery

I had the remote an inch from.the receiver. Both batts are good.

I tend to think.it may be a fuse or relay. This a 94 Country.

The door lock switch on the pass side doesn't work to lock but will unlock and the window switch doesn't work over there either.

Not sure if this matters

I would like to fix this issue folks, I'm getting ready to take a week long trip in this XJ and would love for the door remote to work again!

Help a fellow XJ'er out

Sorry I can't help with your exact issue
Just a thought maybe;

I have an 01, and I can tell you, the shittiest aftermarket is WAY better.
Really all that has to be done is power, ground, splice into lock/unlock wires, and splice into door open wire.
Might be easier to install than find/fix your issue.

IIRC, the 96 and older are IR, which would mean you would have to point directly at it. Not sure on this one...

Last edited:
If it's I.R....try watching the diode through your camera phone while hitting transmitter buttons. Your phone should show the diode flickering. (Also works for tv remotes).

96 and older use the IR remote that can be programmed without special tools, 97+ switched to RF remotes(which are much better than the IR) and require a DRBIII to program.

If you find a matched set of programmed remote and board from a newer jeep they can be installed in the older Jeep. I do this on the side on an exchange basis.

That is if the rest of your wiring is working right.

96 and older use the IR remote that can be programmed without special tools, 97+ switched to RF remotes(which are much better than the IR) and require a DRBIII to program.

If you find a matched set of programmed remote and board from a newer jeep they can be installed in the older Jeep. I do this on the side on an exchange basis.

That is if the rest of your wiring is working right.

The key fob/remote seems to be working(light flashes etc.)

I have tried the receiver from a 96, a 95 and my original 94. No luck!

Right now my door lock switch on the pass side front will unlock the doors but will not lock. I have replaced that switch a few times and no luck. All other switches, door locks, windows, work as they should.

Not sure if any of that helps trouble shoot or not.

The driver switches are master. So, that could be a part of your problem.

Back