• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case questions

Buddybliven

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys I've got two 4.0 xj's one is a 1990 with a bad motor but all the running gear is there and works. The other is a 1996 H.O. and has no transfer case or driveshafts. my question is can I take the transfer case, transmission and drivelines out of the 1990 and bolt them into the 96 I know many other things like body panels doors some interior panels things like that will work but I really want to get the 96 back on the road any help would be greatly appreciated. I am aware that the 1990 transmission has a speedo cable in the 96 is electronic but this is a strictly off-road rigs so I don't think I'll need the speedometer

The short answer is yes.

You have to pull the wriring out of the transmission, use the speedo gear from the 96 in the place of the speedo gear in the old transfer case.

There are people on here who say the speedo sensor doesn't work, but I just swapped a 1990 transfer case and transmission into my 96 2wd. No issues after a bit of research.

Its a fair bit of work, but it can be done.

I don't have the transfer case out of the 96 I just have the transmission in it they pulled the transfer case and the drive shaft out of the 96 and used it for another rig before I got it

I'm totally new to this whole job thing it so if I don't have the original transfer case does that mean that I don't have the wiring as well or the speedo sensor really wish I could find someone local that knew these things but come by and just let me pick their brain for 20-30 minutes I'll even pay

Back