• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer sticking at 35 mph

Zagill

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, first time posting so feel free to berate me for any mistakes.

I bought my second Cherokee (1994/4.0/AX-15) a couple months back, and it's been pretty great. However, one big issue I've noticed so far is that the speedometer likes to stick around 35 mph, and won't move to the *actual* speed without a few hard taps to the gauge cluster. I think it's getting more stubborn as it's getting colder out, which is somewhat worrying.

The odometer and tachometer work just fine, which leads me to believe this is an issue with the speedometer itself, not a sensor or something like that.

I tried disassembling the whole gauge cluster and spraying some electronics cleaner in behind the gauge backing. Sadly, that didn't seem to help anything.

Side note, my temp and oil pressure gauges now seem to be a bit off now after the disassembly, having moved the needles around a bit to clean things up. Par for the course for my mechanical endeavors...

Anyway, like I said, it seems to be getting worse. I fear for the coming winter. Send help.

Thanks in advance!

Can you grab another cluster from a fellow XJer or from the junk yard? They are so cheap, that swapping in another may be your easiest, quickest option.

Can you grab another cluster from a fellow XJer or from the junk yard? They are so cheap, that swapping in another may be your easiest, quickest option.

Haven't checked the junkyards, but online listings seemed a bit expensive, so I figured it would be cheaper to fix it myself. Might have to hit the pull-n-save and see what they've got.

I would second that... your cluster is probably about done and it sounds like it's got other issues too. Most yards around me charge about 35 dollars for a cluster, for reference.

Id say its the gauge. so junkyard swap. or like $40 on ebay for the wh
the other end of that connects to transmission. through the engine 'pcm"

Back