• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key fob won’t unlock/lock the car after 30 seconds

sjereb

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. First of all I would like to say how great I find the XJ community. I’ve been able to find so many resources for all the things I have done and have repaired on my XJ! However there is one particular issue that I haven’t been able to solve. I have searched high and low, tried to troubleshoot it myself, however I stand here defeated in hope that someone can help me.

Problem: Key fob won’t unlock/lock the car after 30 seconds of activating dome lights

When I come back to my Jeep the key fob doesn’t work until I manually unlock and open one of the doors. Then the key fob works just fine for 30 seconds. While trying to isolate the problem I noticed, that if I lock myself in the car and wait 30 seconds for the key fob to stop working, and then I turn on the dome lights by turning the dimmer on the headlamp switch the key fob works again. So it is not so much about opening the doors rather turning on the dome lights.

I have a 1997 XJ 4.0 limited with the engine immobilizer. Attached is the photo of my key fob.

File-22-11-2018-13-31-26.jpg

One might suppose there is some sort of wiring issues that cause this effect, however failure of the remote keyless entry receiver module does happen.

Back