• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Leaf Springs

dishner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with factory suspension. Like all other ones I've seen my leafs are shot. I would like to do a total replacement of everything (suspension), but I'm not looking for any lift. I could handle an inch or two but that would be all. I am trying to find out if anyone knows if leafs (or coils for that matter) off of another vehicle will fit. Obviously something I can get at a junkyard. They would need to be heavier duty than my factory ones and be same height or no more than two inches greater. I don't want to fool with add-a-leafs cause I've had them and I think they're junk. Thanks for the input.

There are numerous threads on the your topic if you use the search function.

Stock coil springs normally do not need to be replaced. Stock leaf springs are know to fail and Quadratec.com has a HD stock type replacement leaf spring that will settle to about +1" over stock. Also look at OME springs. Stock UpCountry +1" coils or coil spring spacers will level out the front end.

Search or Google.

I added an extra main leaf to both sides, cut the spring eyes off and put in longer centering bolts(one that runs through the center of the spring pack). the stock u bolts were just long enough to reuse safely. brought me 1-1.5" higher than stock, and gave a little spring rate boost.

while I was at it i installed 4.0 grand cherokee front coils from the junkyard, which gave me the same 1-1.5" boost in the front and a little spring rate bonus.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out, especially since it cost me less than $50 at the junkyard, and maybe $7 at a 4wd shop for the longer centering bolts.
It's been over 3 years since I did it, still happy, still has a good stance, and fits 30x9.5's nicely without rubbing.

good luck

Thanks a bunch. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Were you able to use stock shocks or should I buy longer ones. I'll probably replace them either way just to make the ride as smooth as possible. Dose it matter what year range on the grand cherokee coils? Thanks again.

Thanks a bunch. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Were you able to use stock shocks or should I buy longer ones. I'll probably replace them either way just to make the ride as smooth as possible. Dose it matter what year range on the grand cherokee coils? Thanks again.

This is the best write up I've found.
http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

They say you can use the stock shocks, but you will enjoy the ride more if you get new shocks. Also, look for v8 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) springs. Also, you can use coil spacer's if to level your jeep if the rear ends up taller. I think the stock insulators are like 3/4 of an inch, and you can get spacers in other sizes.

Personally I'm going this route, until this winter when I can install a kit lift.

I recommend (stock length) bilstein HD shocks, but higher spring rates are not going to be "smooth as possible"
It will ride more like a truck (hold on going over speed bumps and freeway expansion joints), but everything will feel tighter and more controlled in street driving

My shopping list for when I do this in the near future...

(also, search - likely will find several threads)
Quadratec:
56010.11 - 2x - $199.98 total
56001.06 - 2x - $17.98 total
56001.05 - 2x - $21.98 total
$34.99 shipping - total: $274.93

Z&M Jeeps (stores.zmjeeps.com):
52006440 - 4x - $18.00 total (U-Bolts)
11502813 - 8x - $16.64 total (U-Bolt Nuts)
11502814 - 4x - $9.84 total (Leaf End Nuts)
34202118 - 4x - $15.84 total (Leaf End Bolts)
$17.27 shipping - total: $77.59

Total: $352.52 for new rear springs.
I might swap out the 56010.11s for 16090.530s (old man emu 2" lift HD) if I decide I want a bit of lift, but I haven't decided yet. Those are $12 more each, not really a budget buster. The list above includes a lot of parts from Z&M Jeeps that you may be able to get away without buying but they're fairly cheap and from what I've read, you likely will want them in case you have to cut a bolt or two that just won't come out.

Back