• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Omix-Ada Good Brand Crank Position Sensor

XJPhoenix

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks!

Yes, I searched. The info I found says that Mopar is the best, and I went to the dealership only to be told that Chrysler doesn't service this part anymore. No help from the dealership, and after some searching on-line, finding what can be verified as a 'genuine' Mopar part is less than 100% in my humble opinion. I have found Omix Ada parts, and I know they have pretty good Jeep stuff, but the single review I coud find said they had a problem.

I want to do the right thing and get the best part for my Jeep, but getting original Jeep parts is seems tricky at this point. I'm hoping the Hive Mind of Jeeply Wisdom can help steer me in the right direction.

Help me, Obi Wan, ya'll are my only hope!

Part number for the Omix-Ada part is 1722002, and/or 56026882. (Both seem to lead to the same part #.) The Jeep is a 1991 Jeep Cherokee XJ, Limited, 4.0, automatic, 4wd with the 242 t-case.

:)

So, the Omix-ada part isn't as good/the same?

The only reason I ask, is because buying from this vendor means that if there's an issue I can't return it. Just nervous I might have to buy from someone else if there's a problem, and end up eating the loss.

Hmm, used to be that one could edit one's posts... I may be missing it, but is that still an option?

Anyway, I got to doing more searching on that ebay link you sent me, Jeep Driver (thanks for that, by the way!) and it seems eBay offers a money-back guarantee. Would that cover the cost if there was an issue, do you think?

So, the Omix-ada part isn't as good/the same?

Not even close.

Most auto parts stores/websites sell cheap crappy Chinese made parts, some that even come with a " Lifetime Warranty ". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

Thats fine and dandy to go Mopar but finding Mopar parts for say a 92 xj is almost impossible now. I know cause l looked everywhere for a CPS for my 92 a few months back and not a single dang one!!!

P.S...Hasta

There are tons of genuine mopar units on ebay for the same price as an aftermarket one from a local parts store. I'd go that direction.

Offroadman- That link Jeep Driver sent me has a link to a vendor that has some, might want to snag one before the source dries up completely. :)

Thank you folks, that was exactly the information I was looking for.

My cps works, but I've only owned the Jeep for a little over a year. The Cherokee was well maintained for most of its life, but not the last five. Who knows how old thecurrent cps is? So I'm thinking that since I plan on keeping the Jeep for as long as I can, that replacing the current working part (and keeping it as a spare) would be wise. I'm not a well man; on a fixed income and fixing things with help from family, so I need to spend money wisely.

A wiser man wouldn't own an old XJ, but I gotta have something crazy to hold on to, right?

I swear, Tim has a "canned response" for people who want to buy electronicals not made by Ma Mopar...

Here's the long short and curly of it- Some parts (I.E. sensors) are still available from your local CJDR stealership. Sometimes the prices are really good. And yeah, you should stick to OEM stuff if possible. But let your wallet weighed against the emerg-a-f***ing-gency of the situation do the talking...

Case in point, one year I took my DD XJ home to hang out with pops and the little sister and all the rest of the family for a few weeks around Christmas. Driving out there I had felt a few random "pops." Maybe like something binding up or a misfire, but I couldn't really tell.

It only got worse during my time back home, and I concluded it must be a random misfire caused by a flaky O'Reilly's CKP sensor I had installed like 2 years ago because the one I had crapped out and caused a no-spark condition the first time I power-washed the engine bay (Again, wallet against emerga-f***ing-gency; that thing was my one and only DD and my buddy at O'Reilly's used to hook me up with the military discount.) Well, sure! The local CJDR stealership can get one! But'll take like two weeks to ship... Screw that, down to NAPA we go. Well, that new sensor helped, but more research revealed it to be a faulty pre-cat O2 sensor. Back to the parts store that has a NGK/NTK (which is the OEM manufacturer of those things anyways) O2 sensor for cheapest in stock...

What I'm getting at is yeah, Tim has a point. But sometimes it's just not practical or feasible, time or wallet-wise to buy ONLY OEM parts. I can't speak too much to OMIX-ADA as I think the only part I ever bought that was made by them was a new distributor for my 4.0, but it seemed to me that it was good-quality, fit right in, and did it's intended job. Much better than some of the parts I purchased from another company we won't speak of....

Jeepnoob - Wise words. Luckily this isn't an emergency, and that's what I'm hoping to prevent. The last Crank Sensor in my previous 1998 XJ crapped out in the middle of the meanest, nastiest part of winter, and I had to take it to my mechanic to get them to swap it out. Right now, the weather is good, my health is as good as it's going to get right now, and I've had offers for help if I need it. My thinking is to do all of the parts that could leave me stranded and be a PITA to swap out in the snow.

It's not about the price; my grandfather had a saying that I try to live by, "I'm too poor to buy cheap shoes." I'm not looking for the cheapest part; I'm looking to spend money on a good part, but I only want to buy it once. If I buy a sensor from a vendor on-line, and that part goes bad, he/she could easily tell me to pound salt and I'm stuck having to pay full price on another part. Thus the curiosity about other brands. If another brand is reliable and easy to exchange if it goes bad, that's the part I want. From the looks of it, however, that just doesn't seem possible.

Cummins90 - My fear exactly.

Everyone - I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here. I did searches, most of the results were from a time when one could get the factory part from local dealerships. I tried that, and was told that Jeep/Chrysler doesn't carry that part. I tried searching for the part in Canada, and the only results I got were in the states. It's not easy to get the factory part, and from what I've seen, the few vendors that do carry it don't do returns - a scary thought if you have to eat the $140 to get another part. (That's my price, with currency rates, taxes, brokerage/duty/whatever money the government wants today.)

I think that other Jeep owners will follow the same route I did, but was hoping they'd find this thread with current information in it. Folks who'd been though this and and had data they were willing to share. So far, I've had quite a bit of helpful info, which I appreciate.

Okay, blather over.

Hi....I am experiencing difficulty with no sparkle and needed to supplant the cps and I explored and locate that best to get mopar part. well from my quest for a 1991 Cherokee I get part number 4638128 and I have requested it from around 5 or 6 better places and said that mopar suspended this part so now it is simply accessible to get it reseller's exchange so my inquiry is which secondary selling has individuals had the best karma with? I was figuring Crown yet any recommendations would be extraordinary.

I had good luck with a NAPA brand CPS. I think that I have the three-year warranty version. Fitment was good, and my Jeep fired right up after installation.

After having issues with quality CPSs with every aftermarket supplier I wondered if I could do better. Long story short I wanted a neodymium magnet tipped cps that would last as long as the factory unit. After finding a manufacturer and talking with the lead engineer we came up with a pretty solid unit.

The claim is that the neodymium magnet would not be needed and that if any of the supplied CPSs went faulty that I sold I was to return them for R&D. This has been going on for some time and I have many out in circulation. I was expecting to get some back by now so I could prove them wrong. Still plenty of time to see how it goes. Ultimately the goal is to keep our various Jeeps on the road and reliable.

After having issues with quality CPSs with every aftermarket supplier I wondered if I could do better. Long story short I wanted a neodymium magnet tipped cps that would last as long as the factory unit. After finding a manufacturer and talking with the lead engineer we came up with a pretty solid unit.

The claim is that the neodymium magnet would not be needed and that if any of the supplied CPSs went faulty that I sold I was to return them for R&D. This has been going on for some time and I have many out in circulation. I was expecting to get some back by now so I could prove them wrong. Still plenty of time to see how it goes. Ultimately the goal is to keep our various Jeeps on the road and reliable.

Are you selling them yet? I think people would be willing to pay more for a reliable CPS seeing as it can leave you stranded and it's such a pain in the butt to replace.

Feel free to PM me and I can point you to who you can contact. I'm not a vendor on here so thats the best I can do for you.

I wonder if your contact would be interested in becoming a vendor here? If their product has the potential to match OEM for quality, I'd think quite a few folks would be interested in these...

Back