• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf Springs replacement suggestions

pajeepman

NAXJA Forum User
Putting new Dorman leaf springs on my XJ this weekend. Any hints or suggestions that may help. I have done it before on CJ's, wondering if there are any "XJ" specific hints.

I know soak they piss out of them with PB, aerokroil, etc. I am going to be using a Mini-ductor so I hope that helps big time with rusty bolts. Do you REALLY need to replace u-bolts. 2000 XJ stock with 150k on it. Underside is not rusty like so common with North East XJ's.

If spring eye and shackle end bolts need replacing, where do you get them. Q-tec doesn't show any, haven't had much luck searching the web for them, Can I just use grade 8 bolts(I did on a CJ before), if so any idea what size, length, etc?

Anybody got extra springs bolts, U-bolts for a 8.25, and short bump stops they want to sell? Need this weekend. LMK

I will report on how the miniductor works out. http://www.theinductor.com/index.php?m=50&s=24 if you aren't familiar with it.

Yes, you need to replace the u-bolts. The OE u-bolts will probably break coming off.

What i've done in the past is drilled a small hole in the pocket where the front leaf spring bolt is welded to the body and heat it up with MAPP gas. That induction heater won't reach that nut unless you cut the unibody up.

AFAIK the bolts are a dealer only item (I know it's an M14 bolt so i'm sure you can source them online as well).

M14x2.0 thread, flange head, 120mm long, unthreaded shank is special length, iso property class 10.9/12.9 accept no substitutes. Dealer only - BUT the LCA bolts on an XJ are the same so just swipe a few at the yard. I believe WJ ones are the same spec too, and a lot less rusty, compare length of shank and overall length but I could swear I've used em before.

Back