NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old September 10th, 2020, 20:23
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Want a soft riding XJ

Thanks for the ideas guys. Hereís further fodder to add and clarify.

Iím running Pathfinder ATs from Discount Tire in the 31x10.50x15 size. Since they are not P metrics, they only have 2 sidewall plys. They do ride a bit more firm than the previous BFG ATís in the same size but not much. Iím running 26 PSI. I really donít think itís the tires.

I cannot lower it an inch. The SFR recommendation is minimum 4Ē lift. Iím at 4.5. No plans for a winch. Still have stock bumpers too, but will eventually change that. Wonít be big and heavy though. Custom valves shocks just might be where I end up, so the Accutune suggestion is valid.

Shackle angle is not going to help the front. I am likely going to add the relocation boxes but not as a first step. I canít remember the spring rate of the RE1310 spring. There used to be a thread with spring rates. Iíll have to dig that up again. It was supposed to be low from what I remember. I am leaning toward shocks first. I donít think long enough Monroeís are even available for my lift height. I would try that as a cheap experiment. Thought of buying the Quadratec hydro set for that same reason. Had them on my yj with OME leaves and it rode decent for a yj. The Fox 2.0ís are on my somewhat short list. Iím not likely to do anything right away. Have to pay for my 242 rebuild first.

Anyone have more ideas Iím open to hearing them!
Old September 11th, 2020, 08:11
NAXJA Forum User

Want a soft riding XJ

Did you discount trying ut as a 3link. Pull passenger side. If you like it fugure out how to make it permanent.

I run similar geometry to sfr I actually almost bought theyre brackets and spent some time picking they're brain's

One thing I don't like about alot of long arm brackets is they run the frame side links as high as possible sfr even does it what this does steepens arm angle degrades ruse quality it also eats up frame side link seperation.

Depending on how much work you want to do and if your brackets are welded or bolted on.

If bolted id look seriously at lowering the brackets even 1.5" that would improve arm angle alot soften ride.

Im running les than 3" of lift my arms are raised at the axle end and loweres are alittle lower then sfr but my upper is still where sfr has theres. My lower arm is at about 2deg angle. 6deg is what we shoot to stay under.

At 4.5" id guess your arms are pushing 8-10deg id be curious if you have an angle finder . See what your lowers are at.

Mine rides incredibly soft to soft . I am talking to accutune and plan to do some resivor shocks with theyre tunning its a huge plunge should be a night and day game changer.

I do not know what shocks id run. I doubt I ever run normal socks again.

If your arms are angled a fair amount shocks with less compression damping may help because energy is transferring through the arms instead of directly through the shock and coil spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old September 11th, 2020, 21:11
NAXJA Forum User

I was originally planning on running it as a 3 link but didnít want to weld on the passenger upper as they suggested. As a mostly street Jeep I donít see the need to go 3 link. I know it should flex better, but I doubt it would chage the ride at all. My lowers are right at 8 degrees. Iíd go down an inch perhaps and push the SFR recommended minimum a half inch, but again donít think that will do much.

The question in my mind is do I need different springs and shocks or just shocks. I may end up going the custom valved shock route, but may just try off the shelf shocks first.
Old September 11th, 2020, 21:28
NAXJA Forum User

This post https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...-rates-613756/ claims the RE1310 has a rate of 164#. That is plenty soft if true, which is why I think the spring is not the problem.

I wish PAC spring still made Jeep coils. Appears they donít. Not in their catalog anyway.
Old September 12th, 2020, 05:59
NAXJA Forum User

3 and 4 link provide more travel then we can use.
The driving characteristics change greatly. If you dont want to spend the time to take one link off and drive around the block. Well id say I don't know what to say about that
Its free
Old September 12th, 2020, 07:23
NAXJA Forum User

Want a soft riding XJ

I went through this same thing on my last two XJs. Had bilsteins that rode too stiff. I ended up swapping in some rear shocks (monroe) off a 2004? Rav4 on some bar pin eliminators and that works great for me. Very easy to compress the shock, and rebound dampening is decent. I'm also on the RE 4.5" coils.

Also, IRO just came out with their "trail tamer" shocks for the XJ. I might have tried these out if they were available when I was doing shocks. They have a built in bumpstop too. Very affordable.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Old September 12th, 2020, 19:47
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khales6 View Post
This post https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...-rates-613756/ claims the RE1310 has a rate of 164#. That is plenty soft if true, which is why I think the spring is not the problem.

I wish PAC spring still made Jeep coils. Appears they donít. Not in their catalog anyway.
I still think that you're overthinking this.

- The BDS leaves are supposedly 230 lbs/in which is pretty stiff. Either remove a leaf or try a different leaf pack. Obviously cheaper to remove a leaf (or two). IRO 3.5" leaf pack looks nice to me, and IRO says its around 180 lbs/in.
- Install longer shackles.
- Try some less hard core shocks.