NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old August 15th, 2020, 12:24
NAXJA Forum User

Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
Sorry, one other questions - Do you have the transcooler fluid flow installed inline with the radiator cooler/heater, and if so, do you have it before or after the radiator cooler/heater?

Trans cooler is NOT installed inline with the radiator.
Old August 15th, 2020, 12:33
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks. No issue with torque converter not locking in cool weather?
Old August 15th, 2020, 14:24
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
Thanks. No issue with torque converter not locking in cool weather?

Nope. The B&M has a bypass if fluid is cold.
Old August 15th, 2020, 18:14
NAXJA Forum User

Read post #226 !!!
Old August 15th, 2020, 19:27
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Read post #226 !!!
There are only 215 posts in this thread, including this one.
Old August 16th, 2020, 06:37
Stranger

Maybe we just have to wait.

10 more posts after this one.

The "Varmint-Mobile": 1997 ZJ Laredo, 4wd, 4.0L, Slushbox
Old September 6th, 2020, 09:24
NAXJA Forum User

XJ radiators, a review.

My only concern with the cheaper radiators is the plastic side tanks and non-welded construction. Sure, you can get lucky with a plastic tanked radiator lasting the life of your rig, but do we really want to bank on luck? I've had at least 4 radiators fail on me (tanks and crimps) and seen a few others had the tanks pop while wheeling. While the rigs I've had that got the AL radiator upgrade didn't have overheating issues, they definitely ran cooler overall (more stable temps). My $100 ebay special 3 row radiators weren't of the highest quality, but I've never had an issue with one, and they gave me piece of mind on the trail that there is one less thing to break. I also never ran my tranny coolers through the radiator.

If you are easy on your rig and don't bounce around too much, you could probably get by with a spectra or whatever the autoparts store has on the shelf, but I will always lean towards the welded units just for peice of mind.

Just my opinion on the matter. Been following this thread since it started and it's definitely taken an interesting turn.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Old September 8th, 2020, 08:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmansfield View Post
If you are easy on your rig and don't bounce around too much, you could probably get by with a spectra or whatever the autoparts store has on the shelf, but I will always lean towards the welded units just for peice of mind.
I'll take a plastic Spectra over an aluminum unit...any day.

Even my custom $500 Griffin radiator...I've now had to fix on the buggy.

Meanwhile, the Spectra in my '01 keeps going strong, with it running at or under 210* with AC on full blast and it being nearly 100* out. The nice AL one in there before that? Yep, sprang a leak.

The pain now, is that the Spectra radiators (CU1193 part number), aren't (readily) available. Grabbed one from Advance Auto to put into the wife's '96, so we'll see how it does.
Old September 8th, 2020, 12:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerider15 View Post
I'll take a plastic Spectra over an aluminum unit...any day.

Even my custom $500 Griffin radiator...I've now had to fix on the buggy.

Meanwhile, the Spectra in my '01 keeps going strong, with it running at or under 210* with AC on full blast and it being nearly 100* out. The nice AL one in there before that? Yep, sprang a leak.

The pain now, is that the Spectra radiators (CU1193 part number), aren't (readily) available. Grabbed one from Advance Auto to put into the wife's '96, so we'll see how it does.
If you don't mind me asking - how exactly did your AL radiators fail, and how would've that situation been different if you had a non-welded radiator in there? Our experiences are obviously the opposite of each other (and conventional logic tells me a metal welded radiator should hold up better than a standard plastic tanked replacement) so I'm curious.

Old September 10th, 2020, 07:25
Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmansfield View Post
If you don't mind me asking - how exactly did your AL radiators fail, and how would've that situation been different if you had a non-welded radiator in there? Our experiences are obviously the opposite of each other (and conventional logic tells me a metal welded radiator should hold up better than a standard plastic tanked replacement) so I'm curious.

I'm not sure of his exact issue, every one Ive seen fail the welded aluminum cracks in the HAZ of the weld from the forces of expanding and contracting with heat.

the plastic tanks seem to survive that better.

250,000 miles later my OEM 21 year old radiator is still keeping the jeep perfectly cool.

a few years back I flushed my system and decided to put a new rad in. ended up with an all aluminum CSF.
I ran that radiator for like a month. it constantly ran hot and nearly boiled over a couple times. I pulled the stock radiator out of the scrap pile, flushed it and put it back in. still going strong.

I do not run the trans fluid through the radiator anymore, although I only recommend that if you live in a mild climate. if your jeep sees cold temperatures regularly you should keep the fluid stabilizer in line.
Old Yesterday, 20:12
I Jeep, therefore, I am..

After 205k miles on my '98, the OEM radiator developed a tiny leak.

After reading this thread, I got a Spectra radiator from Amazon. Price was amazing, as was the overall quality. I was impressed. It dropped right in with no fitment problems. Having a 5 spd, I didn't have to deal with trans coolant lines.

As long as the radiator was out of the way, I replaced the water pump as well with another OEM water pump. The stock one was working fine with no leaks, and the impellers looked brand new. I just didn't want to push my luck any further and figured 205k miles on a water pump was a good run....