• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header recommendations? 98 XJ with fact. crack

WildernessJeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with the factory header crack. It's gotten really bad. The rest of the exhaust is going to be redone, probably reusing the glass pack I've already got. I haven't had a cat for a decade. This jeep ONLY runs off road, and is used increasingly infrequently. I looked on Amazon and some other places for a replacement header, but there doesn't seem to be any correlation between price and quality.

What are your recommendations for a low-cost but quality header replacement?

low cost, OR, Quality. refine your search from there. do you want a simple replacement that fits, or one that flows. If you want cheap just order the cheapest manifold you find, or have the old welded, itll probably crack again later down the road.

^^^^ This, it's price vs quality. One of the better ones in the cheaper category would be ATP.

I went with the Dorman 674-196 header with the expanding bellows on my '98, about 5 years ago. It's held up great. No leaks and solid build & fit.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-18275-674-196.aspx?year=1998&make=Jeep&model=Cherokee&parttype=Exhaust%2520Manifold&origin=YMM

I did replace the motor mounts at the same time with Brown Dog rubber mounts. Little stiff and "buzzy" at the beginning, but once they broke in a bit they are fine, or I just got use to them. I'm a believer that loose worn motor mounts add more bending forces on the header from the engine torquing over, contributing to cracked headers...

I went with the Dorman 674-196 header with the expanding bellows on my '98, about 5 years ago. It's held up great. No leaks and solid build & fit.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-18275-674-196.aspx?year=1998&make=Jeep&model=Cherokee&parttype=Exhaust%2520Manifold&origin=YMM

I did replace the motor mounts at the same time with Brown Dog rubber mounts. Little stiff and "buzzy" at the beginning, but once they broke in a bit they are fine, or I just got use to them. I'm a believer that loose worn motor mounts add more bending forces on the header from the engine torquing over, contributing to cracked headers...

X2 on the Dorman. ALL of them will crack at some point and that is with new quality motor mounts. Dorman has lifetime warranty and when it goes just pull, go to Autozone and have them give you a new one. It is easy to change out.

low cost, OR, Quality. refine your search from there. do you want a simple replacement that fits, or one that flows. If you want cheap just order the cheapest manifold you find, or have the old welded, itll probably crack again later down the road.

That's just my problem. It seems like (as per Amazon), that some headers are $400, but from a crappy korean company I've never heard of. Other crappy ones are $77, but they might be fine for what I'm looking for.

I've heard of Dorman (about $150), but the comments above about "change it out when it goes bad" don't ring of decent quality. I was looking at the Gibson Performance or the Pacesetter headers (both about $400), but again don't know if that's paying for a name or quality, or are they just a prone to failure as the $77 set?

Anyone have any opinions on a quality set of headers I won't have to replace every five years?

The Banks Revolver is what I run now.

The Banks Revolver is what I run now.

x2

gibson isnt a bad choice imo. when your looking through your options youll find cheap options which are kinda made to fit/ or do, but they are made fast, thin, thus cheap. some are made with baffles to help flex and prevent cracking, but they crack at the collector just like stock. Ive done both options. Theres a reason round two was a banks lol, im not looking to do round 3 for a very long time if ever. I will also add you should read up some on this because some headers require some grinding.

Or you buy a well made header that is built sturdy and routed to not flex like cheap ones, better material, Machined flat to prevent leaks, built to flow= performance, built to fit properly. If you dont like the idea of eventually going back and replacing a cheapo, which will cost you time and perhaps money. Buy once cry once and sleep sound knowing youve repaired your vehicle with a great part.

:cheers:

I ran an Amazon stainless header, possibly DNA Motors, on my 99. It fit well other than having to dent one primary a bit to clear the horseshoe intake. Quality was good but it was only on 6 months or so before that jeep totalled. Picked up a used Banks for my 01 with the Cali emissions, had to weld up 6 cracks before installing it, but otherwise looks good although a little more difficult to install with the tube design.

I have a Doug Thorley Ceramic Coated. I did have a Pace Setter years ago, I ran that one for a year or so. It held up. It was their Armour Coat (Ceramic Coated). I didn't like the collector connection, but it works. I don't know what their quality is today.

Back