• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to Jeeps, here is my build!

Spodie

NAXJA Forum User
I posted in another thread or 2, but as you know, I'm brand new to this Jeep/OHV idea, but with the help with a couple of you and a friend of mine (Travis Kiger who used to be active on here a bit, he says hello to all btw) I've come up with this build. One day, I'd like to lift it and put 33's on it, diffs and some lockers, BUT I think for my very first offroad vehicle ever... this should get me to a few places that I might wanna check out.
This is a really weird feeling because tbh, I don't even have the XJ yet! It's up in Sacramento until April, THEN I get to install all this stuff. Ya... there's that. I have a bunch of installation instructions to read and tools to buy!

Front Bumper - https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/xj-front-winch-bumper
Rear Bumper - https://www.thedirtworx.com/product-page/xj-cherokee-rear-bumper-tire-carrier
Fender Flares - https://notchcustoms.com/products/x-max-fender-flares?variant=4532938702881
Rock Sliders - https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJSL-CL.html
Frame Stiffeners - https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJUNS-M.html
Winch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXS3BXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Light Bar - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JXS3BXI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Headlights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BWBRDJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Pillar Lights https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G620ZVU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Tow Bar - https://www.amazon.com/Demco-9511010-Commander-Tow-Bar/dp/B002XZ76CK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=294EPY8IYOQD1&keywords=demco+commander+tow+bar&qid=1583012264&s=automotive&sprefix=demco+commander%2Cautomotive%2C204&sr=1-1
Rims - https://www.amazon.com/Mickey-Thompson-Classic-Wheel-Finish/dp/B00C6E2HI6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=mickey+thompson+rims&qid=1583012316&s=automotive&sr=1-4
Tires - https://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeak-m/t-tire-0

In addition to the above, I got a nice towing camera for behind the moho, the stock one is pretty dated and black and white, along with various straps, recovery ropes, quick deflators, compressors and etc....

Here are some pics of the XJ, https://imgur.com/a/mjxHTPI but it's still up in the Sacramento area. I don't get it until April. She's super clean and bone stock. The owner is a family friend who is moving out of the county, so he's driving it down to me when he makes his final farewell. The more $$ that comes out of my Just Empty Every Pocket makes me really worried something bad is going to happen to the XJ since I'm doing the in the hella wrong order!

I'm always down to hear your thoughts and suggestions, pros/cons, or general "steering" of my build, what to do next or whathaveyou. Whether or not I agree, it's fun to talk and gets my brain rolling in what to do next!

Unless your 16 and wanting a "bitchin" mall crawler, your about 180* out of phase!

That build is a joke as described and not how it's done. That's a pretty good looking rig (unknown year definitely a +97) and you haven't even stated the intended use of the Jeep.

I'm brand new to this whole concept. I guess in a perfect world, I can tow a vehicle behind my motorhome, explore an unseen world within reason, and have it look decent all at the same time, without spending big money on a new Rubicon or alike. My intentions are to be able to take the family or the boys for shooting trips, hunting, exploring, Overlanding... just to see where it leads. I may be perfectly content having a "capable" XJ for this nieve greenie, and that'll be the end of it. But, I do like the idea of getting into more bouldering or climbing if that's where it leads. It's a year 2000, thought the license plate would be a dead giveaway :)
So if I'm completely off base and this is a joke, and not how to do it... as said before, any tips or steering in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated.

Dealing with a XJ is not easy, dealing with a +97 is harder, and dealing with a 2000-01 is not easy at all. Get the properly sized tires and rims and go out wheeling before make any decisions. Rock rails are usually the second best place to start. Meet Big Bro and Lil Sis twin (almost) 2000's.
IMG_0379_zps6bvsh5yi.jpg

Good looking Jeeps! What size tires are those? I ordered 15x8 rims with 31/10.5 tires. I would have liked to go a little larger, but from what I read, there can be clearance issues and rubbing. That is why I went with the Notch flares as opposed to Bushwhacker.

Yeh, those rims might be a bad decision. I'm now running 265/75/16's on Rubicon rims(4.5" backspace) on 5.5" of lift. Flares are not needed till about 35's, this is mine when I ran 33's.
DSC00143_zpszwutcjks.jpg

I'm not a fan of those bumpers, they are cheap but they look awful in my opinion. If your putting on a tow bar, better make sure the front bumper has long tie in plates, outer rail plates would also be ideal.

Also, add in a steering box spacer upgrade and box support (boostwerks).

I would also look into a HD steering setup, running 31s I would do a Currie / rubicon express Y link HD OE style setup.

Those bumpers look extremely questionable and the tow bar for towing a XJ.

I'm always down to hear your thoughts and suggestions, pros/cons, or general "steering" of my build, what to do next or whathaveyou. Whether or not I agree, it's fun to talk and gets my brain rolling in what to do next!

Since you’re in Southern California* you should join us for SoCal Fest in Calico May 15-17. There’ll be plenty of XJ guys to talk to in person about your build plan and plenty of well-built XJs to look at for inspiration. And there are trails to explore out there with a stock rig. Also, if you find our tech information helpful, please consider joining NAXJA now, during the March membership drive.

* I assume you live in Yorba Linda, and that “Yorna” in you profile is a typo. ;-)

So did you buy all the stuff listed or you asking if you should?

star slow... if you're going with just 31s, you don't need steering upgrade, especially since you're stated plans are to just go overlanding, not rock crawling. agree bumper you selected looks.. questionable.
I'd skip on the silly things for now like add on leds. They look cool but.. really.. you plan on going out at night? ditto on winch, it's a necessary add on later on --but for just overlanding....(if $$ isn't an issue, then by all means..)

start with the basics. Tires, lift (you don't need much if any on a 2000.. I'm not quite sure, mine's an '88, I didn't need any lift for 31s) , and then I'd focus on underarmor. I don't see any mention of skid plates in your list. I ran 31's for years, and a cherokee with 31's can do a lot, but you're going to do damage underneath. hit a stump with under armor, and no big deal. Do it without.. you could poke a hole right through your transmission.
I'd go with full coverage, from front to tcase. it's not expensive, easy to install, and will give you much more protection than anything else on your list.

Yes, all that stuff was purchased already eeek! I went with those bumpers due to several factors. I have them in hand now and they are extremely robust. Price, lifetime warranty, quality. Looks were the last concern, but I happen to like them. I just have to wait for the sliders to show up to get everything powder coated. The front hooks are welded on and look extremely tow ready. I'm concerned with the point that was brought up about getting long tie in plates. I have an adapter that puts the towbar directly to the bumper. Is that not proper? Yikes!!!

Unfortunately, I have a conflict on the weekend of socal fest. We're camping at Doheny that weekend, but I'll see what the Mrs thinks about going back to Calico. We typically go for the Halloween event there so it's good fun for sure.

I'll look into under armor as well, thanks! Oh, and profile is fixed :)

I'm brand new to this whole concept. I guess in a perfect world, I can tow a vehicle behind my motorhome, explore an unseen world within reason, and have it look decent all at the same time, without spending big money on a new Rubicon or alike. My intentions are to be able to take the family or the boys for shooting trips, hunting, exploring, Overlanding... just to see where it leads. I may be perfectly content having a "capable" XJ for this nieve greenie, and that'll be the end of it. But, I do like the idea of getting into more bouldering or climbing if that's where it leads. It's a year 2000, thought the license plate would be a dead giveaway :)
So if I'm completely off base and this is a joke, and not how to do it... as said before, any tips or steering in the correct direction would be greatly appreciated.

My 2 cents is that you already put the cart so far ahead of the horse that it's ass can't be seen.

Your initial need as stated would not require much more than larger tires (30.5x9.50.would suffice) and a proper tow bar base plate. And other personal trinkets as desired

If you continue will the calore heavy diet you have layed out you will need suspension help NOW or you will have made a low rider without trying.

I know how easy it is to put stuff in an Amazon shopping cart an click BUY but pump the brakes a little !

GLWTB

Your initial need as stated would not require much more than larger tires (30.5x9.50.would suffice) and a proper tow bar base plate. And other personal trinkets as desired
If you continue will the calore heavy diet you have layed out you will need suspension help NOW or you will have made a low rider without trying.

I have towed two XJs for over a 100,000 miles during the last 17 years, so I have experience with this.
We have a well built 2001, with a stroker, that is used when the trips will be 4X4 oriented.
For our other trips, the near stock 1997, with a 2" OME lift, 30" KO2s and skid plates is the preferred vehicle.
It's easier to get into and out of, handles a lot better with the lower COG, gets better mileage and will still go places that will surprise you.
I'm always surprised how much better I like driving it on pavement.
I added a Truetrac to the rear axle but stayed with the 3.55 gears since it's not going taller tires. IMO, 31"s need 4.11 or deeper gears, living in the West where most roads head up or down.
You will hate the 31" with 3.55s, if you ever go to Colorado.

You need to determine how this Jeep is going to be used. If your trips will primarily to areas where the Jeep will be used mostly in the back country, build it big.
If your trips will be mostly paved road driving but still want to head down any appealing dirt road, a shorter, lighter lift is going be a more satisfying choice, when properly equipped.

As for the long parts list, would leave most fit in the boxes and work on the suspension and skid plates first, including lower control arm skids, first.
I see none of this listed. You need to do the basics first, including going tho

The Demco tow bar is OK but you are missing the XJs baseplate and any type of towing brake, a legal requirement in most states, including your own. Get into an accident, while towing, and not have a towing brake, you will lose in court, the lawyers and investigators know all about this.
When picking a baseplate, consider how it can be beefed up and utilized as the front tow points, also make sure the tow bar and base plate are compatible .
I'm more familiar with Roadmaster and Blue OX tow bar and baseplates, Demco is a newer brand. Used to install towing kits on tow cars, mostly Jeeps.
Roadmaster and Demco both sell towing brakes that are activated when the motorhome is braking heavily .
You will need towing lights, I add an extra bulb to each of taillight housings, run fresh wires to them from the front bumper and use LED lamps. Resist using diodes and the stock lamps, this works better.
When installing the plugs and umbilical cord, use 7-pin plugs and cord, the extra wire will come in handy.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157603323570942/

463772aba2733b9f751c1fcaad5b11eb77f4c3758d45977267cfd15a635399c4.jpg

I just have to wait for the sliders to show up to get everything powder coated.

DO NOT POWDERCOAT YOUR PARTS YET!!!

Powdercoating is one of the least forgiving finishes when it comes to any kind of modification. If a bolt hole is just a bit off and needs to be drilled out, or a bracket needs to be bent just a bit to make things line up you do not want to be making those changes on a powdercoated part. Moisture gets in under powdercoating and wreaks havoc on steel.

And if you need to apply any heat, powdercoating turns into a mess.

Fit check your parts first. Make sure everything is going to install the way you expect it to. Be prepared to make some modifications to parts in order to make them fit right.

Don't put a finish on until you are certain you are finished with getting the installation right.

If you need to keep parts from rusting then hit them with a rattle can. The powdercoater will have to sandblast the parts anyways, so a rattle can finish is not going to be a problem for them.

I looked at the OP's XJ pic. By the short luggage rack, its 99-01. Since, the license plate says Y2K XJ, most likely its an '00. I would guess a Cali emissions. So, pre cats.
From the OP's first post, he will upgrade overtime to 33's. With the 31's, you would need to lift at least 2". Possibly a budget boost would do you for a while. I would get a good track bar, too. That would get you going with not to much $$ more.
As stated before, with 31's 4.10 gears work good. I had 31's with a diameter 2.5 exhaust and a header. I still needed to bore out the Throttle Body to 60mm. Helped on hills.
I do have 32" Falken tires on mine. I like them better than the Mastercraft 31's I had. Mine are 3 Peaks, and seemed good in the few light snows we had here.
I would recommend an upgraded steering gearbox spacer, and possibly a brace. I have one from Boostwerks, Ironman 4X4 fabrication and one from Kevin's Offroad. These three bolt to both sides of the frame. Kevin's is the lowest $$. Also, Rubicon Express and Ironman 4X4 make a Track bar brace. RE's is the lowest price.
A few things to look at when you get it, the hard brake line going to the rear. It can rust. Also, possibly change the harmonic balancer.
Also, going to larger tires, the brakes become less effective. My stock ones, new components, would lock up the tires, but that came on very quick. I upgraded to WJ big brakes. I'd look at Hawk or Black Magic pads.

It’s nice to see I’m not the only one telling you to slow down!

Let’s go wheel that stocker first and go from there. There’s plenty of easy trails for you to get acquainted with the Jeep and off-roading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back