• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New switch panel

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Finished a new switch panel. This will mount between the visors. Housing will hold 7 contura switches from otrattw. Built it out of the same 8"x3"x6" RadioShack project box I built my fitchbox out of. I used cat5e for the connection from the fitchbox, and jumped all the switches, so it's very easy to connect and disconnect it to add more switches when I add accessories down the road. Right now it's just got front lights, reverse lights, and Rock lights.

u5egenej.jpg

Here is the one I saw on cherokee forum that gave me the idea. Looks a lot more finished than what was previously in that spot In my XJ.
ruzy8esa.jpg

The silver one above I believe was mounted utilizing the keyless entry module mounts, which I don't have. I'll build some simple L-brackets to mount it to the visor clips.

Thought it might help someone else with a clean stock panel who needs more than the 5 switches the ashtray switch panel provides for.

I'm curious... Exactly what happens when you toggle the "Beer" switch. :eeks1:

Nice looking switch panel.

I'm curious... Exactly what happens when you toggle the "Beer" switch. :eeks1:

Nice looking switch panel.

Would be really cool if it were a fridge, but it isn't. My wife chose that one...it's silly but a conversation starter. It actually does the front lights. The lights and switch will probably be replaced with a light bar. Might use the beer one for a compressor down the road. We'll see.

I am wondering Cat5E cable... is it rated for the lights current or just powering a relay somewhere? I really like the setup!!!!

I am wondering Cat5E cable... is it rated for the lights current or just powering a relay somewhere? I really like the setup!!!!

cat5 is used to trigger relays, it's a lot easier to run than a bunch of bigger wires, makes for a really clean install.

The current required to trigger a relay is on the order of milliamps, so cat5e is easily capable of that. The big issue with cat5e is that it is solid strand wire, rather than multi strand like typical automotive wiring, which means it has less ability to stand up to vibrations/harmonics/etc, meaning it could break more easily because it is not as flexible. Haven't had any issues so far

I have a very similar set-up in my rig, but I like your project box better, it looks like a better angle. What model is it?

For my connections I'm running this tefzel wire. It's stranded and has a tough jacket. I'm using the black/red wires for constant power and ground, and my sixth switch goes directly to my LED roof lights, so I only need the five wires down to the engine bay for relay control.

It's just a simple project box from RadioShack, 8"x6"x3". Same one I used to house the relays. I used a cardboard template to get the angles and mounting holes right, then cut it all to fit with my dremel plastic cutting wheel.

The current required to trigger a relay is on the order of milliamps, so cat5e is easily capable of that. The big issue with cat5e is that it is solid strand wire, rather than multi strand like typical automotive wiring, which means it has less ability to stand up to vibrations/harmonics/etc, meaning it could break more easily because it is not as flexible. Haven't had any issues so far

FYI, you can get CAT5e or CAT6 is either solid or stranded versions.

Box looks good.

You guys seem very well organized :) I'd also be interested in what you are using to organize your relays under the hood. I just have them all in the same area but separate... not very professional :(

There are several options, from the expensive sPod system to the Bussman PDC kit. Has 5 relays and 10 fused circuits.

OTRATTW switches are excellent..

How are you terminating the ends of the Cat5 at the switch and relays? Typically the relays I have use much larger wire and the terminals on the switch are meant for 1/4" spade connectors. I like the idea.

Google fitchbox, or relay box. Mine is made of the same project box as the switch box on this thread. I have 7 relays in it, all fused. Located in the pass rear cubby. Power from batt, ground to batt. Jumpered connections to cut down on wiring, cat5e to switches, and 12g wire to accessories. Very modular and very easy to ad accessories to the open slots.

How are you terminating the ends of the Cat5 at the switch and relays? Typically the relays I have use much larger wire and the terminals on the switch are meant for 1/4" spade connectors. I like the idea.

I strip a good bit of the ends and fold them up, then soldered then up, shrink wrapped, they are pretty secure.

Back