• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ 231 to 242 swap

SV-BDN

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to do some research, but I think I'm getting confused.

Vehicle: 1993 XJ, 4.0L, AX15 with a NP231J.

I'm looking to go swap to a NP242 despite it being a weaker T-case for the Full-Time 4 Hi option for winter commuting. The XJ preformed well last winter in snowy driving, but this year my commute is longer, and goes from 4600ft (work) to 9000ft with some windy canyon roads. It would be advantageous to have 4wd without worrying if the road is slick enough for part-time.

I'm planning to hunt for a NP242 at the local U-pull. I know they have some XJs, ZJs, and WJs. Not sure if they have any of the chevy or dodge models with 4wd. I also know that most of the Jeeps in this yard that still have a transmission & t-case in them are automatics. Will any of these auto T-cases bolt up to the AX-15?

I want to try to keep my NP231 intact for future use, so I don't really want to swap input/output shafts. Am I out of luck?

Is there a way to know what the spline count is based on vehicle/model year on both my vehicle and those in the yard, or do I need to physically pull and inspect the T-case?

There is a manual XJ in the lot with the transmission still in it, but from memory, it is an '87, definitely pre-1989, with the Peugeot BA-10/5 MT. Is the T-case off this jeep any use to me if it is a NP242? If its a NP207 (only part time 4wd), NP228 or NP229, is it worth pulling?

I don't mind swapping input/ output shafts between t-cases, I would rather buy two boneyard t-cases and combine them before pulling apart my NP231.

Besides the T-case, I will be pulling the shift selector (needed?), shift gate, and indicator bezel off the donor vehicle. Do I need to grab any other parts while I'm in there to make this swap successful?

The 242 did not come behind a standard trans, so you will only find it behind the automatic.

A couple people on here have put one behind an AX-15 so it is doable.

1990/1991 was when the switch from 21 spline to 23 spline happened, so you'll want to go 92 or later

The 242 did not come behind a standard trans, so you will only find it behind the automatic.

A couple people on here have put one behind an AX-15 so it is doable.

1990/1991 was when the switch from 21 spline to 23 spline happened, so you'll want to go 92 or later

Yep, my MJ has a 242 and AX15. PO did it so can't comment a ton on it but know it is doable.

I found a couple NP242s in one of my local yards, going to go back and pull one tomorrow. They have a NP242D there that is already pulled, looks like a newer Durango. Would this work?

They also have some NP242s in a couple '02 Jeep liberties, as well as a couple older grand cherokees, will need to confirm the years on those. Are there any model years I should look out for / avoid, or will any 242 work?

Going to have to get the XJ shift bezel separately. In other news I did find a 5.9l Durango alternator I will be grabbing tomorrow as well.

I found a couple NP242s in one of my local yards, going to go back and pull one tomorrow. They have a NP242D there that is already pulled, looks like a newer Durango. Would this work?

They also have some NP242s in a couple '02 Jeep liberties, as well as a couple older grand cherokees, will need to confirm the years on those. Are there any model years I should look out for / avoid, or will any 242 work?

Going to have to get the XJ shift bezel separately. In other news I did find a 5.9l Durango alternator I will be grabbing tomorrow as well.

You need a XJ/ZJ 242. The WJ and others are going to have a different spline count IIRC along with the input shaft length being different. You need to find one that is 23 spline short input to bolt up to the AX15.

I can't speak for a 231 to 242, but when I went 242 to 231 I didn't need to change the gate, I only changed the bezel.

Changing the shifter plate/bezel isn't absoultey necessary. You can still shift it fine just need to count the shifts as obviously the bezel won't line up. I think Team Cherokee still carries some 242 shifter bezels new.

But if you are pulling the 242 out of a JY Jeep then just grab the shiftgate and bezel to round out your install.

despite it being a weaker

It's not going to be any weaker than a 231, if you go by NP/NVG's numbering scheme the 242 should be stronger than the 231. Even if it wasn't, think about what these cases were used in. A "HD" version with a slightly wider chain, and 6 pinion planetary set is used behind V8s, and in military HMMWVs. If the 242 can survive "Private Snuffy" it'll be fine in a XJ.

All this to say don't sweat the strength of your 242.

Back