• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise after Cavfab install

In the same vein, it looks like neither your tie rod or drag link heims are clocked. Are you getting a lot of clunking noise when you hit bumps?

The tie rod has never really been an issue and the drag link not so much on pavement, but on washboard can be a real nightmare. I've since clocked them, put a little blue loctite on the threads, and cranked down the jam nuts as tight as I could manage and everything seems to be quiet. The only clunk I hear any more is the end of the downpipe tapping off my long arm skid, which needs to be clearanced a touch.

This isn't so much a CavFab issue as it is a heim joint issue, particularly when you have bends in the tie rod and drag link geometry, which are required to clearance the sway link mounts. Having any mass not perfectly in line with the heim threads is always going to be susceptible to centripetal force. The only ways to address that is to tighten the ever-living hell out of the jam nuts, run something like a Dana 44 w/hi-steer, or to cut your sway links and run perfectly straight components (but I love my Anti-Rock...)

Back