• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super AW4 build

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
It begins today! "Big Bro" finally has his place inline to get the lift tied up for a couple weeks. I've got all the best parts available and will be my 3rd auto I've ever done. Hopefully everything goes well starting with getting the trans out. Between my long arms and my custom exhaust it's going to get fairly interesting. Luckily I found my (IIRC) E12 swivel socket and 4' extension bar. I think I will be able to drop my arms since the suspension will be un-loaded then remove the crossmember.

Today went really good, now it's time for the 4th! It took just over 2hrs from backing it in to - draining it, removing the LA's and cross-member, the full exhaust, the driveshafts,and all the ancillaries. The rear driveshaft is going to need rebuilding(18yrs) and I bought a new TW front driveshaft, yoke, and seal a couple of years ago.
P1080777.JPG

P1080778.JPG

P1080779.JPG

P1080780.JPG

Things to get done today, Get the transmission, transfer case, and the under-side of the Jeep pressure washed.
Then get the bell housing and X-F case adapter removed and finish my engine stand adapter.
After that start with removing the pump body and go from there.
In the morning get my driveshaft down to the shop for rebuilding.

Following :D

Done for the day, things are so hot I burnt my fingers. Cleaning went well, the tilt in the trans jack was great because although I drained the pan and pulled the converter there was still plenty of fluid in there. The adapter fit great and the engine stand allowed me to tip it up for more/complete draining. Right now it's cooling down in the garage! I took a pic of the reluctor because mine is a 2K.
P1080781(1).JPG

P1080782.JPG

P1080783.JPG

P1080784.JPG

Yesterday I spent most of my time making a area to work.....
P1080787.JPG

P1080786.JPG

Today I worked slow till it got hot....
P1080785.JPG

P1080788.JPG

P1080789.JPG

P1080791.JPG

I finished the tear down yesterday and wrapped everything up. Today I started to sort out all my parts, the WIT kit comes with almost everything but the Raybestos Stage 2 disc's(red), which I ordered above and beyond their std kit. All I need to do is clean the housing before I start re-assembly.
P1080817.JPG

P1080818.JPG

P1080819.JPG

P1080820.JPG

P1080821.JPG

P1080822.JPG

P1080823.JPG

P1080824.JPG

This morning I p/u my rear shaft, cleaned the case, and started the rebuild. It's been a little rough but I'm going slow and double checking everything as I go. Having PB issues so no pics today!

Ron, I've done an AW4 valve body mod, several T-Case rebuilds and a few engines/swaps over the years, but have been hesitant to jump into a complete AW4 rebuild.

While my stroker block is getting machined, this thread is making me reconsider sending my spare AW4 out for rebuild, especially since my buddy who ran the best trans shop in the area sold his shop and retired.

Love the simple and effective engine stand adapter, 2x2 angle and 2x2 tube?

Also, please share some details regarding the rebuild kit and upgrades. I see lots of part numbers which is great, but where did you source the kit from and are you using a FSM for the guidance on the process?

Last edited:
This is where I left off yesterday. Today I didn't get anything done because Covid hit close to home. I'll try to give it full my focus tomorrow.
P1080825.JPG

P1080826.JPG

P1080827.JPG

P1080828.JPG

One thing I didn't even know existed and would help majorly is Automatic transmission assembly grease(a little late now)!

Well the trans is done, whether it's done right? Tomorrow I'll install the bell housing and x-f case adapter to finish that up. I've got a brand new front yoke and seal to install on the x-f case then I can install that. Hopefully by mid-week I should be done with the re-install.

At it again before it gets to hot(supposedly 116* today). Here's my torque wrenches(1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4") and yoke tool!
P1080830.JPG

Today I got everything done, since this all went a lot faster than I planned I am now short a trans mount. I think I'm going to put the broken one back in to finish things up. I will have to do the mount when it gets here(Tues/Wed) but I want to check my work and get the trans topped off today!

Oh yeah, let's see if it pays in the long run! Shifts are great, torque converter pulls better of the bottom, and I got a little "chirp" in 3rd! Temps are down a little, but to verify that I need to put my scanner on it to confirm.They also claim better mileage but I won't be able to determine that for a while. I wished I still had my tent trailer(3500 lbs) to test it with but I replaced that with a 10,000 lb beast.

I did have some minor vibrations before at above 65mph, the new driveshafts solved that. The new front output seal took care of that leak but I see a small leak coming from the rear sye cone so that will be next on the list.

Ron, thanks for the update.

Please clarify all of the components that you used for this AW$ rebuild. From the links that you've shared, I've arrived at the following:

WIT Master Transmission AW4 Rebuild Kit: PN-97006AA $323.93
Raybestos STAGE-1™ FRICTION CLUTCH PACK: PN-RCPS-55 $199.00
OPT HD Torque Converter for the Jeep AW-4 automatic transmission PN: TOY-342 $308.67

Back