• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frustrated !!! Smog testing

craigincali

NAXJA Forum User
I know some purple have had problems passing smog butt this ridiculous. I have failed 3 times due to Nox.

I was at 735 and need to be 517. Changed spark plugs, sea foamed it, air filter, throttle body cleaned, oil change and out went down tio 648.

WTF are you guys doing to pass smog!?

Seems like the good old days where you could find a smog station who would get you through for the right prices is gone....

I struggle every time as well. Sometimes NOx, Sometimes HC. Twice I put on a new CAT.

Mine's a Renix so no codes to help, just gotta break out the MM and my Renix manual and start trouble shooting.

Mine comes up in June.

No, but I am now thank you !

Is this a common thing with XJs not passing smog? The smog guy said it is but I don't necessarily trust him.

1995. Odometer shows 424,000+ and the PO didn't know if the motor had ever been rebuilt. It runs great, no issues except the smog

1995 with 424,000+ miles. PO didn't know if the motor had ever been rebuilt or not. It runs great, wheels awesome etc. Just can't get past smog

Several year ago I failed smog due to high Nox on my '99. I was running 33" tires at the time, if I recall correctly, and was geared at 3.73. After doing some reading on line I borrowed the stock wheels and tires off of another XJ and passed on the second test. I can't explain the chemistry or engineering behind it, but it worked. Maybe I just got lucky the second time. I don't know.

Mechanic said come pink it up he his too busy too do the job.

Back to square one. He did say that it has an exhaust leak and that is probably my biggest problem

My guy said that same thing. The bigger the tire the more load. He said tio fix the exhaust leak and get stock size tires and I would pass

With that many miles, the catalytic converter could
indeed be worn out.

With stock tire diameter, exhaust leak fixed, and a
new cat, it has to pass...

Fix all exhaust leaks first, tire diameter does come into play but normally not a deal breaker if there's no trouble elsewhere.
A new cat is a sure way to make it clean, again if everything else is good.

It already has a new cat. I just bought 4 stock rims and tires for the test.
I will post after the exhaust leak fix and next test.

So did you just buy this?

Unless you regear the speedo, the bigger tires will cause your speedo to understate your speed. As others said, the engine will have to work harder to spin them.

Since it's a 95 (pre OBDII) they use the tailpipe sniffer which seems to be more sensitive than relying on the OBDII readout.

Since it's a 95 (pre OBDII) they use the tailpipe sniffer which seems to be more sensitive than relying on the OBDII readout.

The tailpipe sniffer is used even with the obd2 units because they are "gross polluters" at least in my corner of Smogafornia.

I bought it recently. The guy I bought it from had it smoged (with proof) and it passed. I screwed up and left the country for a vacation. I forgot to register it and it sat on my desk for awhile. When I got off my fat ass and went to register it in my name the smog test was past 90 days old so they require a new one.

I fail the 15MPH part. I pass the 25 MPH no problems. I really think the exhaust leak is what is screwing my.

Back