• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ engine randomly dies, how to troubleshoot?

I have a 96 xj and my suggestion is the tps. At first I thought it was the idle air controller but when you mentioned the jar while driving it sounded like your tps. cheap and easy fix.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I replaced my CPS over the weekend and so far my XJ has been driving great without any stalls or stumbles. Will watch things over the week but I think this might have fixed the problem.

Classic symptoms of a failing crankshaft position sensor.

I had this same thing happen on my 2000. I drove around like this for awhile until it eventually just completely went out and I got stuck in town at a horrible intersection and ended up having to get it towed home. My advice; fix it before it completely goes out, because it will, and probably at the worst possible time.

I would bet anything this is your problem. Luckily, it's not hard to fix and the CPS isn't too expensive.

Good luck.

Where can i get one of those? My 99 Cherokee (4.0) 150,000k has a PO340 code that won't go away ! Replaced camshaft and crankshaft sensors, and still there.....UGH !!

Thanks for the advice everyone. I replaced my CPS over the weekend and so far my XJ has been driving great without any stalls or stumbles. Will watch things over the week but I think this might have fixed the problem.

Same issues, turned out to be the same problem. Replaced CPS, problems gone.

Back