• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did a search, Tach doesn't work when it rains.

BAs96XJ

NAXJA Forum User
IT is a weird problem. Whenever it gets wet either raining or creek crossings my tach will stop working. I think the water is shorting it out temporarily. Where is the connection so I can seal it up.

BA

It runs from the PCM, pin 43, gray and lite blue wire. I´ve never traced it, but I imagine there is a connector or two between the PCM and the gauge cluster. It has a common power source and ground with a bunch of other guages. The problem is probably between the PCM and the gauge cluster connector at C-6.
IMO oppinion, a ground through moisture that grounds enough electricity to the tach. to make it malf completely is unlikely, unless there is a little anti freeze or something else present, to help with continuity to ground, shorting the tach signal. Cleaning and drying out the connectors is probably the first step. Possible something else is shorting, another gauge, that is stealing enough juice, off of the common power supply, to affect the tach.
Another posibilty is the ground for the gauge cluster, could be bad and enough juice is backing up, to affect the tach. Though I can´t see how moisture would affect the ground much. My diagram is marked "incomplete" for the instrument cluster ground path, so I can´t help you much there.
My wiring diagram is for a 93, but I beleive it´s close, if not identical, to yours.

I did some checking around the PCM. Cleaned all the connections and traced the wiring harness to where it enters the fire wall. I can't find anything out of order. Now the tach doesn't work at start up but works after the engine warms up. This just keeps getting weirder all the time. Any other suggestions?

BA

Start removing and cleaning ALL your grounds. Everyone you can find....

Back