• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

May trail ride in Little Moab

tonysinnette

NAXJA Forum User
Had a good time today. For the first time in a while I had no mechanical issues. It was great to meet everyone and hope to see ya on the trails again. I didn't take a whole lot of pics but Ryan snapped a few.

IMAG0570.jpg

IMAG0572.jpg

IMAG0573.jpg

IMAG0574.jpg

IMAG0575.jpg

IMAG0576.jpg

IMAG0577.jpg

IMAG0578.jpg

2012-05-12130109.jpg

2012-05-12130051.jpg

2012-05-12124610.jpg

2012-05-12124540.jpg

IMAG0581.jpg

On a somber note, we saw a rolled truck being recovered on the way back to town. I found out later that the guy and his wife were out wheeling alone on the trails and got stuck on a hill. The man decided to try and push the truck to a point where it would coast down on its own. When it started rolling down the hill he was crushed and killed. Please if you are going to go wheeling on anything more than a dirt road DO NOT GO ALONE!!!!

I saw that on ksl and mentioned it to my wife. We didn't see the truck.

We didn't stick around long, but it was cool seeing everyone. It was a good sized group. We did wander out to where nutty putty cave is/was. I thought they had put a grate over it, but the opening is actually buried now.

Please if you are going to go wheeling on anything more than a dirt road DO NOT GO ALONE!!!!

I don't totally subscribe to this philosophy. For most people it's probably a good idea but if you are somewhat intelligent, prepared for it and most of all, let people know where you are it shouldn't be a problem.

It sounds to me like that guy was doing something he might have done even with some buddies around. For example... he wasn't totally alone. His wife was there. Why wasn't she in control of the vehicle while he was pushing?

Sometimes it's better to sit and wait out a situation like that. Especially if you let people know the area you plan on being in.

My rules for going out alone are this...

Food and water for long enough to survive the time it would take for someone to notice I'm missing and find me.

Planning. Mostly planning my route and letting others know where that is. If I'm alone I won't deviate from that route.

I also carry a Spot locator. Most situations this alone will get me out of trouble but even then, its not smart to rely on a single electronic device to get you out of trouble. Batteries fail, sat connections fail, electronic devices in general fail. It still gives piece of mind.

Back