• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake caliper install

BrianMU

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88XJ, AW4, NP242. I am trying to install new front calipers (already did the rear brakes) and I have a question about the bolts that hold the caliper on. Do they thread in and then hit the inner brake pad? Mine are going in and then pushing on the brake pad and then the caliper is still loosewith both bolts tight. This can't be right, can it? I don't see any other way to install them. Thanks for any help you can give. I'll try to get pictures later if you need them.

Well I have a '91 and I know mine dont hit the inner brake pad when they're threaded all the way in. The mounting holes on the caliper slide in and out though to help adjust it. Are you sure you have the right length bolts?

Not supposed to hit anywhere, just tighten down and hold the caliper on. Yo doin something wrong... Did you just replace the pads or did you do more like new calipers and stuff. Compare it with what came off if so.. reread your post, are you sure you have the correct sides on the correct side ? the inner and outer pads are different, otherwise can't think of what could be wrong.. the bleeder zerks are supposed to down low not up top, both calipers driver and passenger, did you get two of the same ?

RichP said:
Not supposed to hit anywhere, just tighten down and hold the caliper on. Yo doin something wrong... Did you just replace the pads or did you do more like new calipers and stuff. Compare it with what came off if so.. reread your post, are you sure you have the correct sides on the correct side ? the inner and outer pads are different, otherwise can't think of what could be wrong.. the bleeder zerks are supposed to down low not up top, both calipers driver and passenger, did you get two of the same ?

Bleeders are to let air out. They must be on top. If they are on the bottom the caliper is upside down.

My bad, Need to proof read better.

Back