• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does the brake caliper thread into?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
What does the front brake caliper thread into? One of the bolts just spins and the bolt appears fine, so whatever it threads into is stripped and I need to replace it. I'm planning on looking myself later in the week when I have time, but I thought somebody out there might know. TIA.

It spins while tightening it, and I can feel it take the threads and it goes full depth, so it's lined up properly.

I glanced at it just a minute ago without removing the tire, and it seems like it threads directly into the knuckle.

I just called the dealership, it does thread directly into the knuckle, and they want $255 for a new one!!!!!!! Anybody know where to get these cheaper or where to get an upgraded knuckle or some way to either save money or get more if I have to spend it anyways. I don't think I can drill and tap it because the bolts have to fit through the caliper. I'll be calling the junkyards tomorrow I suppose.

I think this would be a tough one to strip out. It is possible you have the wrong bolt? You could compare with the one on the other side of the vehicle.

You may not be able to drill and tap it, but I'll bet you could use a Heli-Coil insert in it.

It's worth a try on the wrong bolt, though. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'll check to make sure it's the right bolt again. This axle came from a yard, so you never know.

Checked all 4 bolts, all are identical. Tried the other bolts in this hole and they all just spin too. I can see the end of the bolt coming through the other side of the knuckle. I guess it just got stripped somehow :(

caliper

Go to a dealer,get the name of the part,go to reputable salvage yrd,pull part off.

Which side is it? I think I have a spare knuckle from an earlier model hanging around my barn (once bought a used hub with knuckle included), but can't remember which side it is either. You'd have to be sure that the knuckle for an 87-90 fits yours. If so, there's a 50/50 chance I have the right one :) Email me if you want to pursue this.

Oh, almost forgot...free except for shipping if it is the right one.

Additional info edited:

The one I have is for the left, but I see that the earlier models had a separate caliper base which bolted to the knuckle itself, and it is to that part that the caliper sliding bolts attach. I looked under my 95 and it appears there is no longer a removable base. I don't know when the change was made, so make sure you know which type you have.

Last edited:
I ended up getting another right-side knuckle at a junkyard here for $40 and just had the guy that did my front gears throw it on at the same time (he threw it in for free, so why not?). Thanks for the help and for the offer Matthew.

Back