• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quieting a borla exhaust?

blairboyd

NAXJA Forum User
This may seem strange, but i was wondering if there might be a way to quite my borla exhaust system down at all. I love everything it does for my '96 xj, but as my only vehicle it can be somewhat annoying on long highway trips when trying to enjoy some music. common sense is telling me that there is no way without having to compromise performance or reconstruct it, but i figure it would be worth asking. so if anyone has a suggestion for an easy way to reduce the noise at all, i would appreciate it. but if it's not worth pursuing, i'll get over it. thanks for any help/advice you can offer.
Blair Boyd

I'd bend Borla's ear - a while back I asked about back boxes for my last car, since I wanted a performance exhaust that was very quiet, and was told that a performance exhaust can be "tuned" to any volume you wish.

Use a turn down tip. That will help keep some of the sound out of the cab.

I just removed mine last week and put in a 40 series flowmaster with new pipes. Sounds better and performs the same. Total coat of new exhaust built and installed $200. My Borla was more then that before shipping.

I have a flow master and it was extemely loud. I took it back to the exaust shop and for $20 the exhaust guy added a used glass pack between the header and the flow master. It did not take away from performance and man did it quiet it down, alot. The glass pack just changed the length of the sound waves, which resulted in quieter exhaust. Plus, it is not much bigger then the 2 1/4 pipe that is in there. You just need a section straight and long enough to cut out and replace with the glass pack. It acts as a resinator and it does not sound like a glass pack.

An exhaust resonator may be just the ticket. Same idea as the glass pack, but will last a lot longer, no glass packing to blow out. Good Luck.

Woody

afd516 said:
I have a flow master and it was extemely loud. I took it back to the exaust shop and for $20 the exhaust guy added a used glass pack between the header and the flow master. It did not take away from performance and man did it quiet it down, alot. The glass pack just changed the length of the sound waves, which resulted in quieter exhaust. Plus, it is not much bigger then the 2 1/4 pipe that is in there. You just need a section straight and long enough to cut out and replace with the glass pack. It acts as a resinator and it does not sound like a glass pack.

I have one of those in my system too, just going up before the axle. It took out the drone and the raspyness at full throttle. Sounds much better. I am fitting airbags in at the moment so have had to cut it out and wondered if yours was along side the auto before the crossmember and the cat or not? That is where factory put them on older cars as works better there than right up the back.

I do not have a cat. My glass back runs along the passenger side frame rail just befor the pipe goes up over the axle after the cross member. On the up slope of my exhaust system over the axle is where my muffler is. I will try to post a pic later.

The exhuast shop installed your system without a cat? Against the law??

Back