• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc swap wheel studs

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sorting out getting new rear axle shafts. will the longer wheel studs that you're supposed to use when doing a disc conversion work until that conversion is made, or are they too long?

It should but it would depend also on your wheels. What's the worst that could happen, you pick-up some std lug nuts.

Just remember that whatever axles you buy to do your homework on studs. When I bought my Yukon axles, their website listed the wrong studs. My Yukon's take .618" studs so I used Dorman #610-260.

When I did my disk brake swap, I used wheel studs for a ford 8.8. I dont have the part number handy, but I just told the guy at Autozone I needed rear wheel studs for a 1999 ford explorer with a 5.0 engine.

Yes, I called Yukon to verify that they take a .618" stud.

That's fair. I kinda got to thinking if aftermarket axles are mostly made in the same place, these studs might be as well. Just seemed a waste to added money for a name attached to them. I'll see what arrives in the mail.

I definitely need longer wheel studs.
I have yukon shafts which require the .618 knurl

RCP is using Dorman 610-260 which are .618 knurl x 1-13/16"

I think Ide like to find a variant with an additional 1/8" making it a 1/4" longer than the stock dormans I have now. Can anyone recommend any options or best places to source these?

also any recommendations on steel lugs for steel wheels?

Be careful, depending on your lug nuts they may bottom out. I bought deep nuts that just fit with all the threads sticking out and I run Rubi aluminum wheels that have a pretty thick "stud boss area".

with the steel wheel on, a 1/2-20 nut will mount flush with the end of the current studs, I really need to find something that will allow enough of a lugnut to bite.

i forget but im guessing i currently have dorman 610-364

Back