• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start, no crank

flexinxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm supposed to go out of town today!:mad:

00', 4.0, AX-15, last friday afternoon(i'm just now able to work on it) started fine, cut it off to run inside for a bit and when i returned my XJ would not crank. Battery and starter are good. I don't hear fuel pump turning on, I have not checked voltage at relays yet but i did switch them around with known working relays and still nothing. Radio, lights, pwr locks and windows all work fine. When I turn the key to start I get one 'click' and thats it.......

thanks in advance

I'm supposed to go out of town today!:mad:

00', 4.0, AX-15, last friday afternoon(i'm just now able to work on it) started fine, cut it off to run inside for a bit and when i returned my XJ would not crank. Battery and starter are good. I don't hear fuel pump turning on, I have not checked voltage at relays yet but i did switch them around with known working relays and still nothing. Radio, lights, pwr locks and windows all work fine. When I turn the key to start I get one 'click' and thats it.......
thanks in advance
Could it be your NSS?
When you say "click"....is that like it gets as no fire at all from the battery?

Try smacking the side of the starter with your favorite heavy persuasion device. Don't hit the electrical contacts.

Not sure why the fuel pump is not turning on though (are you sure it isn't? can you normally hear it? on my late-model, I can't)... sounds like maybe your auto shutdown relay, a fusible link, or a fuse.

It's a 5spd(AX-15) so no NSS. I already smacked the starter with 3lb sledge, even replaced it to be sure(will be returned now)
no I'm not 100% sure the fuel pump not coming on, I do hear it normaly though it isn't as load as my old renix xj. I will be checking pwr at fuel pump and at relays after work today.

Last edited:
The fuel pump not working isn't going to prevent the starter from turning. Will it start if you bypass the ignition switch? use a screw driver to jump between the big 12v starter wire and the small terminal on the solenoid. Make sure you jump to the one with the small wire to it and not the ground. lol

I would say possibly the clutch switch (Basically, NSS on the 5spd) could be bad but it wouldn't do ANYTHING if that were the case.

When you try to start it do you lose power at all? Does the radio cut off and back on?

Yea the pwr cuts off while starting(radio, gauges, etc.). I know the fuel isn't relavent to cranking but mentioned it because it all happened together.
I will try to jump the terminals this afternoon, and give an update.

Make SURE it is in neutral before doing that!

Nothing will wreck your day quite like being run over by your own car.

If the power is cutting out when you try to start it then my next guess would be on a connection somewhere. I'd obviously start with the battery connections.

Ya got a good enough connection that it's powering the acc. but not enough to start the engine. Clean you're connections extremely well and try again...

Make SURE it is in neutral before doing that!

Nothing will wreck your day quite like being run over by your own car.

Ah, it's just an XJ. Not like it's a dumptruck or anything. lol

On the bright side, if he gets run over that would mean the starter and the battery are good.

Lol, I didn't think about that. With it being a manual transmission and all...

Yeah, I normally wouldn't either. I'm manual-retarded right now :dunce:

Reason I remembered is because I got a surprise while welding a new flex joint into the downpipe on my aunt's rav4 back in May. Went to start it so I could check where the leak was, it wouldn't start, remembered I had to push the clutch in since it was a manual, forgot to put it in neutral... let the clutch back out and took off unexpectedly. Fortunately, managed to hit the brake before I hit anything else.

Good news and new problem the starter works but now there's a hole in my garage with a Heep stuck in it!

No worries about starting it gear all I drive is manual trans vehicles.
Ok well I'm about to jump the starter and start testing pwr at the relays and see what happens, I'll update after that

It always showed 12V.
Thanks lowrange for pointing out the obvious, it was the terminals. I should know better with my background! They looked fine until I pulled the connections apart, it was pretty bad. The HEEP is running now, i feel retarted but at least it was something cheap and easy. Thanks again lowrange! Cheers!

Happens to the best of us, what's your background, EE? :cheers:

Glad you got it working in time for the weekend!

It always showed 12V.
Thanks lowrange for pointing out the obvious, it was the terminals. I should know better with my background! They looked fine until I pulled the connections apart, it was pretty bad. The HEEP is running now, i feel retarted but at least it was something cheap and easy. Thanks again lowrange! Cheers!

Some posters get upset when asked if they have checked the obvious things.

Haven't met an electrical connection that I can tell is fine just by looking at it!

Glad you got it--now go and play! :cheers:

Kastein, I grew up in shops, I even went to school for it(NADC) and was a mechanic too. I've ran a shop and had my own, so for me to not even check the terminals is like a fat kid passing up cake. Oh well it's fixed now! Thanks guys!

It always showed 12V.

You're quite welcome. Glad ya got it going!

Back