• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor versions on HO engines

JDFRotten

NAXJA Forum User
Just for the heck of it, I pulled the engine codes on my 1991 XJ 4.0L. One of the codes that I got was 54, cam sensor signal error. The Jeep starts fine, maybe a little rough for the first few seconds, then smooths out. I pulled the cap and the distributor doesn't seem to be worn. No play in the shaft, side to side. I noticed that the cam sensor is quite a bit different than the one I had in my old 97 TJ. Here's my question: Can the distributor with the newer style 1994-1997 cam position sensor be installed in place of the older one? The only reason why I'd go with the newer one, if possible, is because the whole distributor is cheaper than just the sensor on the 1991.

Once running the sensor has little to do with anything. I don't think it is the sensor. Rough running at startup could be a leaky injector, or a stuck IAC motor.

I replaced the distributor anyhow, with the newer style 94+ distributor with the plastic plate style sensor just under the rotor. Went right in, fires right up, drives fine and no more camshaft position sensor code...yet.

The 91 distributor was an awful designer to get that sensor replaced, the later distributors improved the access to the sensor and were cheap enough to find a few years ago rebuilt with no core. I’ve got a spare rebuilt 94-97 distributor sitting on the shelf auto zone had a fire sale on a few years ago.
As long as the cps plug stays the same the distributor will work on any year HO 4.0 that had a distributor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back