• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 timing chain and gears setup

turbobaja1835

NAXJA Member #1299
Help needed please:

I am building a 4.6 stroker and have a question on the timing chain and gears setup. The machine shop assembled the engine for me because he screwed my timeline up and with the Marine Corps I don't have a lot of time to work on my jeep. When he assembled the engine he claims he put the timing gears dot to dot. My question is, will this work because in the book it claims the dots have to be a certain number of links or pins apart when rotated. Well he didn't count them and I don't have my book here with me on base so I want to know if dot to dot is sufficient enough to be sure the gears and chain are setup correctly. I am trying to save some time when I go home to finish the install. All I have to do is put the radiator in and it is finished at this point.
Thanks a million:

I did this on my 94 4.0l in May. I lined the dots up, then rotated the crank, and counted the number of pins between the marks. It came out 15, just like the FSM spec'ed.

Are you sure the distributor is timed right?

Back