• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB timing chain set

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone sell a complete timing chain/gear set that includes all the seals, gaskets (one piece pan gasket), ect? of do i just need to order it all separate from a parts store? and if anyone has a new timing chain/gear set they didnt use or maybe went with a double roller instead, let me know. also need a new balancer. mine looks like it is doing the hoola dance it wiggles so much. oh, and it is for an 89 (renix)

AFAIK nobody sells a complete kit, but the parts are easy enough to get (from NAPA at least ;)) Do yourself a favor and go hunting at the junkyard for a balancer that is still in good shape, the aftermarket ones are all made by dorman and are a couple thousandths too small on the ID, they are almost impossible to install. Went through that with my MJ, hit 5 different parts stores and all were dorman in the box, finally ended up using a good spare Kyung (corbinafly) had laying around.

thanks for the tip Grimm. i do have one from an 87 that still "looks" good. i checked online with autozone and they do sell the dorman for 45.99, but they also have one that says pioneer for 60 something. but if you say the new ones are coming out of spec, i may just use the one from the 87.
this engine has 230K and the chain is rattling like crazy. i think it is setting off the knock sensor too which is giving me a low idle. in any event, with that many miles on it i think i am just going to go with a factory style chain set. it has got to last untill i pull the engine for a complete rebuild. have you had anyone complain about the stock ones?

I put a timing set in my buddy's xj and it went in just fine it's an OEM replacement. same with the timing cover gasket set. But like i said the aftermarket balancers are shit put a stock one from the junk yard in there. any year will work they are all the same, as long as the rubber isn't starting to work it's way out it should give you years of service.

Back