• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango steering box swap???

Lonestar

NAXJA Forum User
I went to the local parts store today to get some pricing on a box for this swap today. I asked for a 98 durango v8 4x4, and it turns out they offer two boxes. One with snowplow package ($205 w/ext.), and one without snowplow package ($250 w/ext.). Has anyone that has done this swap ran into this? Which one do I get?
My thought is that if they are different, would the snowplow one would give a little more assist seeing how there would be more wieght on the front? Or, would it just mount differently to help clear parts for mounting snowplow subframe? Anybody know? Thanks.

Bryan

I remeber reading something about one being a variable gear ratio and one not. I wonder if that's the difference.

I did the same, and bought the one with the snow plow package, and it was a regular bore box.

I bought a non snowplow one. it's deffinetly bigger than my stock. Paid $185 for it reman usit. from A1cardone dont know if it's any goo a acdelco was 285

can someone tell me about this swap? my steering box is leaking. Why a durango box?

Just put one on mine, I think I used the snowplow opition but I bought it off car-parts.com for 50 bucks shipped IIRC. Steering is good, also installed the crok plates with it and welded up a small crack in the frame rail. After install sythentic fluid the seal in the pump decided it had enough and started leak so had to replace that as well. Got everything working right the other day and feels fine. Steering travel is limited a bit I think but thats ok for me cause my tires rub on the control arms if it steers anymore, so I really didn't lose anything.

twisted_ed said:
can someone tell me about this swap? my steering box is leaking. Why a durango box?

The Durango box is a bit quicker lock to lock...something like 3 turns to lock vs 3.5. The Durango box also has a larger piston which inturn will result in more power output. The outer casing is about 4.125" OD, while the stock XJ box is about 3.75" OD. The stock XJ box uses a 2.75" piston while the durango has a 3.125" piston.

Last edited:
Reminder: If you get a Durango box and you lose lock to lock turning like you had with the stock box, you may need to remove the spacers inside the piston cylinder. I was among the first to do the Durango swap and when I got the first box, it had a cylinder cap that had 1/4" raised flanges on the inside for the piston to contact and on the valve end, it had a 1/4" thick snap ring. Removing the snap ring and replacing the cylinder end cap netted more turning range from the pitman arm and got my steering to go lock to lock.

barillms said:
The '98, '99 Durango steering boxes are different. Which one do I need to do this swap. The above link to www.jeepin.net does not mention WHAT box, what year to use.

If you try to search on here or Jeepin.com you'll see you need a 99 V8 4wd box.

Last edited:
If you got the 99 Durango V8 4X4 steering box, it won't have these internal stops. That is why this particular box is always specified.

In that thread, all Troy said was "99 Durango". So he didn't have the V8 4X4 model.

If you read Jason's write-up, he used the correct box. He also addresses the spacer issue in post #13.

Are you having issues with your steering?

Last edited:
Back