• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No bus error after headliner replacement

Woodswanderer

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled headliner and overhead console/trip computer down last week to insulate/sound deaden the roof and recover everything in new fabric.

Turned out great, except now i have a no bus error on the dash, gauges dont work, and the trip computer has no power.

Everything else works fine though...windows, locks, dome lights, key fob all good. When key is powered on, odometer reads out then goes to no bus after about 20 seconds.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new symptom or problem that pops up after recent repairs or modifications should always make the systems and circuits related to, or adjacent to, the recent work your primary suspects. I too would inspect/test for wire damage or similar issues.

Wires were pulled straight and taped up out of the way of any screws.

Physical inspection, check. Diagnostic inspection with volts/ohms multi-meter looking for short circuits and open circuits is next.

A simpler test would be to unplug the Overhead Console wire harness from the fuse box area.

I havent pulled the battery cable to try and reset everything yet. I did pull the fuses for overhead console and gauges, all good there and no change.

May pull the overhead console back down and rewire it all. Its possible i broke a wire internally or shorted something out when i disassembled/reassembled it. One of the lights in the rear is now flickering on dome but works fine when switched on

Didn't you say you were working on the dash in another thread? Poor or dirty connection at the instrument cluster causes these symptoms.

Yup, and everything was working as it should (or, as it was when i bought the car...gas gauge has always been flaky and works about 85% of the time)

All this no bus BS started after i removed the overhead console and trip computer.

That doesn't mean a whole lot, I would get this off/on, and a good hit on the dash would make it go away for months!

That doesn't mean a whole lot, I would get this off/on, and a good hit on the dash would make it go away for months!

Tried hitting the dash, no go lol.

The trip computer in the console isnt getting power at all. Its not lighting up. Which is what leads me to think its a power supply issue to that and is causing the no bus error since the IC cant communicate with it.

If there is NoBus and the engine runs, the likely root cause is the instrument cluster connectors. If the engine does not run correctly and you have NoBus there is a defective engine sensor or damaged sensor wire plug or sensor wire harness.

You cannot fix what you have not diagnosed.

Physical inspection and diagnostic testing with volts/ohms multi-meter looking for short circuits and open circuits is next.

A simpler test would be to unplug the Overhead Console wire harness from the fuse box area.

Pulled overhead console down to reset all connections and plugs. Left bank of bulbs is inop now so i may run new wiring in heavier gauge

Trip computer is the problem. Unplugged and gauges work. No bus returns when plugged in

Have to probe for power incoming and check grounds

Update: this was solved. Turned out to be power at the trip computer board. When i unplugged it i missed a pin on reassembly.

Odometer is off by about 85-125 miles now too. During this entire situation it never counted up. Stayed at mileage from time of headliner removal.

Also went a step overboard and reupholstered the dash to match headliner...thread for another day, but it wouldnt be a jeep without camo bits inside ;)

Back