• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durango steering box swap???

Ive yet to do the install so maybe im way off base but id take advantage of the research already done on this subject and shoot for the 98 non plow v8 4x4. Just my .02. The plow version doesnt have as good of a turning radius as the non plow. Sure u can crack open ur plow version do a bunch of crap and hope it works or you can just get the right one the first time. That being said good luck at ur local dips*** store,you can specify all you want doesnt mean you will get the right one. Also dont forget your spacer plate. I believe c-roks site even specifies that you need the 98 non snow plow.

Lol yeah sorry, been reading a ton on it and most threads are so full of contradictory info and b.s. i figured id try to give a clear answer for those in the future searching trying to do the swap and getting condused as hell. Saves em from posting new thread looking for old info. No matter what ya get flak though, either for reviving old thread like now or getting yelled at to search if you post new.

This has been on my list for some time, when this thread came up it reminded me, and since my gear is leaking and groaning I thought I'd do it. So, I ordered a gear for 98 Durango v8 4x4 non plow, which is the same number as 99 Durango v8 4x4 (Lares 1353) from rock auto. The gear showed up today and to my surprise it's the same gear I already have. Went back to rock auto and double checked the number and that's right, out of curiosity I looked up the gear for my 96 xj and its the same number, 1353.

So what gives? do I need the plow package gear? It would seem to make sense with the extra weight on front. Or is it a crapshoot with Lares?

I took one out of a 99 V8 and it was just like the one in FrankZ's post. Larger diameter, variable rate and removable stops (removed). I upgraded to a V8 ZJ steering pump and it works. You will need longer spacers between frame and box.

This has been on my list for some time, when this thread came up it reminded me, and since my gear is leaking and groaning I thought I'd do it. So, I ordered a gear for 98 Durango v8 4x4 non plow, which is the same number as 99 Durango v8 4x4 (Lares 1353) from rock auto. The gear showed up today and to my surprise it's the same gear I already have. Went back to rock auto and double checked the number and that's right, out of curiosity I looked up the gear for my 96 xj and its the same number, 1353.

So what gives? do I need the plow package gear? It would seem to make sense with the extra weight on front. Or is it a crapshoot with Lares?

Yes, you need the plow package. Lares # is 1418, you have to upgrade the pump as well or may have issues.

I swap mine with a 99 Dodge Durango box non snow plow.. I did have to add 1/4 spacers and I put a trans cooler on it.. the box is bigger then stock.. it's been on for aound 8 months.. the only issue I had was I went though 3 pumps before I got a good one.. A1 Cardone rebuilds pumps and box's for Napa, AutoZone, Pep Boys, O'Reilly's and so on..

I looked at one at Autozone, the non-plow is the one they have on hand and it is in fact the larger housing. So either Autozone or Lares has the listing wrong. In the mean time I've been searching junk yards.

Which hole on the Durango gearbox is the high pressure? The holes are in different locations compared to the stock gearbox. One is . ‘ and the other is ‘ .

Back