• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HF or Northern tire changers

Faz95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any experience with the Harbor Freight or Northern Tool manual tire changers?

Trying to remove tires to patch some holes and use for spares on the trail.

Was following the Bleeping Jeep UTube video, but had a close call with a flying pry bar and hoping for something a bit safer maybe.

I’m trying to remove and then reinstall 33x12.50 on 15” steel rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure its not much different than using a good set of tire spoons other than you use that upright tube in the middle as a pivot to try and spin the bar around. I guess for 50$ its worth a shot, but Walmart will patch a tire for $10 or $15.

Oh it's a lot better than tire irons. I installed a HF unit when I moved into this house, that was almost 20 yrs ago and I do "alot" of tires! You need to bolt them down good!

Pretty sure its not much different than using a good set of tire spoons other than you use that upright tube in the middle as a pivot to try and spin the bar around. I guess for 50$ its worth a shot, but Walmart will patch a tire for $10 or $15.

My holes are on the sidewalls. Don’t think they will touch them.

Oh it's a lot better than tire irons. I installed a HF unit when I moved into this house, that was almost 20 yrs ago and I do "alot" of tires! You need to bolt them down good!

And it works on larger size tires- 33x12.50?

12.5's are no problem. I would say over the years we've done up to 14.5's!

Some practice with a half decent set of spoons and you can mount/dismount tires quickly. I swapped a set of 5 tires from one set of wheels to another in 30 minutes.

Some practice with a half decent set of spoons and you can mount/dismount tires quickly. I swapped a set of 5 tires from one set of wheels to another in 30 minutes.

What spoons do you recommend?

Or, better yet, what are you doing this weekend 😃

Tyrepliers and spoons are all you need

I’ve broken 2 HF tire changers, they work ok on the first few 235 with weak sidewalls, once it came time to place the new 31 tires with stiffer sidewalls it was useless. Even after the first 235s the tool started to bend. I’ve used professional tire machines to break down rims before, in concept the manual tire changer can work, just not this cheaply made.

Northern Tool used to have a more substantial tire changer but they to have fallen to the dark side of cheap Chinese tools selling a rebadged HF tire changer.

HF tire changer may be ok for car tires.

Back