• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Metal cutting...

nice. I used a metal blade on a chop saw at my old job and they are amazing.

I'll post this here as well considering how dangerous these blades can be in the wrong saw...

Make sure you respect the blades reccomended RPM. A lot of skill saws and chop saws will have a much higher RPM than what steel cutting blades reccomend. You will nuke the teeth if you use the blades in these saws or even worse... watching the blade explode right in front of you (Seen it at work a couple times).

BTW, I purchase Morse carbide tipped blades all the time for my shop. We can usually get 3-4 months of use out of them even when used everyday. If you can stand the noise and painful chips, they are well worth the $.

I made one of these:
DSC01448.jpg

I don't have room or the funds for a full-size Band-saw and I saw this over on Pirate. It cuts 1/4 awesome and a two pack of blades is around $10 at Home Depot.

I made one of these:
DSC01448.jpg

I don't have room or the funds for a full-size Band-saw and I saw this over on Pirate. It cuts 1/4 awesome and a two pack of blades is around $10 at Home Depot.

Or you could just get the cheap harbor freight band saw and put a decent blade in it (again I reccomend morse). It's made 1000s of cuts over the last 4 years and still running strong.

Has anyone tried that HF bandsaw that hinges down to cut like a chop saw? If they are any good I want one. Hey Bryson what HF bandsaw do you have and how thick will it cut?

Or you could just get the cheap harbor freight band saw and put a decent blade in it (again I reccomend morse). It's made 1000s of cuts over the last 4 years and still running strong.

I ran a HF band-saw for a couple of years (unsure of model) and the gear-box stripped out. For now, I'm done buying anything with an electric motor from HF.

Has anyone tried that HF bandsaw that hinges down to cut like a chop saw? If they are any good I want one. Hey Bryson what HF bandsaw do you have and how thick will it cut?

not sure about the HF model, but the same idea is what the MAT TECH (fixer of everything) used where I used to work (army)
They cut much nicer then a chop saw, angles are easier to cut, cleaner too. Auto off once they are done, so you set it and... forget it. Depending on the size of the tube your cutting it means you can get other things done while it cuts, which is the blade is sharp doesn't take long.

Not sure what model it is, but it's green. I also fabbed up some better legs for it as the ones that come with it SUCK!

It'll cut up to 4" round. The thickness doesn't really matter. I cut SCH40 304 stainless all the time with it.

IMG_2039.JPG

Nope. The first one you posted is the saw I have. There are a lot of variations of this same exact saw which is sold by a couple different companies (jet, harbor freight, northern tool are just 3 I know of). The only difference i've found is the paint.

I bought mine at harbor freight, but it's green like the last saw you posted. The saw is great as long as you buy a quality bi metal blade (not from harbor freight) and properly set the blade guides. :cheers:

Nope. The first one you posted is the saw I have. There are a lot of variations of this same exact saw which is sold by a couple different companies (jet, harbor freight, northern tool are just 3 I know of). The only difference i've found is the paint.

I bought mine at harbor freight, but it's green like the last saw you posted. The saw is great as long as you buy a quality bi metal blade (not from harbor freight) and properly set the blade guides. :cheers:
Nice well I know what Im gonna buy. Have any good links to the best place to get these morse blades?

There are a lot of variations of this same exact saw which is sold by a couple different companies (jet, harbor freight, northern tool are just 3 I know of). The only difference i've found is the paint.

Grizzly and ShopFox are two more companies that sell them. I've got the ShopFox version myself.

More is different than just the paint too. The guards, covers, back panels, stands, motors, etc change depending on who you get them from. I went with ShopFox because I could pick it up 20 minutes from me for $222. Plus it has all metal components. On the Jet one for instance all the back panels, covers, etc are cheap plastic (yet they charge more).

For those looking at the Harbor Freight one this weekend:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa...e&r=4275_282059&cust=78053362125&keycode=0000

Back