• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seats for dummies

sloppyjoe

NAXJA Forum User
Please tell me how it is possible to switch my seats. I really would like to get rid of the ones I have for some newer ones, but have not been able to find an in depth explanation. I would like to know if it is possible to take newer seats and put them on a 94 floor mount, and slider (or whatever you call it). Basically I want to use the factory mounting ware and put the new seat on that. Or maybe just use newer floor mounts and all if possible, any info would be great. Thank JOE

P.S. Write ups on these sorts of swaps are a plus, if ya have em'

Last edited:
No need for a write up, 4 bolts and it come right out of there.
84-94 have the same floor bolt pattern and 95-01 has the second style bolt pattern.

i put 96 seats in my 88 not a problem you just have to drill new holes and since the 95 ups have bolts that cone in from the front you have to fabricate a front bracket (angle iron is what i used) no problem did it in about 2 hrs tops

I stole a set of '94 MINT leather power seats in my color on eBay for about $250 including shipping. Other than the power connector they fit my '89 perfectly. Right/Left seat pans are easily interchangeable too.

You can put just about any seat on your older existing rails with modification. It all depends on how much work you want to do.
Grab the welder and have at it.

xjseats97in88.jpg

XJXJ said:
I stole a set of '94 MINT leather power seats in my color on eBay for about $250 including shipping. Other than the power connector they fit my '89 perfectly. Right/Left seat pans are easily interchangeable too.
That would be because all 84-94 have the same mounts. (see my first post)

I was at a junkyard, and I sat in a grand cherokee, pretty nice comfortable seats compared to the XJ.
Would this be a lost cause with bracketry and all that fun stuffl. Drilling new holes is not a problem. But I dont want to just flush $80 bucks down the toilet.

XJsqared said:
I was at a junkyard, and I sat in a grand cherokee, pretty nice comfortable seats compared to the XJ.
Would this be a lost cause with bracketry and all that fun stuffl. Drilling new holes is not a problem. But I dont want to just flush $80 bucks down the toilet.
the seats may seem more comfy but on a long haul they suck big time.......we looked into agrand a fe years back and stuck with the xj

Back