• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stuck lug nut

sarvermr

NAXJA Forum User
i have a locking lug nut and of course i lost the key. i'm trying to get my d44 swap under way but i can't even get my damn wheel off.

first i tried banging on a socket. when i hit it with the impact it just twisted the groves off the lug nut. next i tried grinding flat spots in the nut and using vise grips. i managed to rip the end of the lug nut off. i could now see the wheel stud inside the nut so i threaded a 1/2 grade 8 bolt in the lug nut and ran a bead of weld around the bolt so it was attached to the nut. my impact couldn't even budge it so i finally used a 4' breaker bar to try and get it loose. i ended up breaking the 1/2 grade 8 bolt in half.

NOW WHAT??? i really need to get the wheels off. please help!

thanks, matthew

go talk to the guys at the tire store...They should have a kit that will have the key you need...If you are friends with anyone they might let you borrow it. If not can you drive it? maybe take it to them.

or not

Last edited:
So, cut the broken part off, LOL, nothing like welding on an Easy out :D then drill the old lug out...
Actually if you wack the grade 8 with a BeFH it should break off...

Been there before. Mine was so rounded off from the tire place that a socket would not go on it. Air chisel, drill and a torch and a day later...
You can buy lug off sockets that usually work. Most tire shops have them or somewhere like thetoolwarehouse.net. Also, what impact are you using. A lot of the cheaper gones don't have nearly enough torque to take off a lug nut that was overtightened.
Dustin

Use a die grinder with a carbide burr tool.
It'll eat right through the side of the nut.

Great idea, I think I'll put one of those carbide bits on my XMas list. Just sounds like a handy thing to have around.

Lawn Cher' said:
Great idea, I think I'll put one of those carbide bits on my XMas list. Just sounds like a handy thing to have around.
I keep them in my trail tool box.

kid4lyf said:
I keep them in my trail tool box.

Yeah, you never know when someone will lock their XJ with the engine running...

Lawn Cher' said:
Yeah, you never know when someone will lock their XJ with the engine running...
I bring a hammer for that.

If you have the gorrilla wheel lock keys, you can get another socket to match if the have the confirmation number thing

I don't know exactly what they are called but the last time I had a frozen lug stuck on I took it to my buddy at Goodyear and he had some kind of socket that had some kind of teeth in it..... those teeth dug into the lug, a few metal shavings later and it was out.... but it sounds like you went a little beyond the help of something like that.....

You COULD get it off with a blue flame smoke-wrench....but the wheel wouldn't appreciate it very much.

i finally got it off with a lug extractor. it was WAY over tightened. i broke one socket extension but finally got it off with a 4' cheater. i had to grind it down to get off all the weld etc, but it finally worked.

thanks, matthew

i bought a yj with a keyed lug and no key. i ended up just hammering on a 12-pt socket. if the socket rounds off, get the next size down. if it doesnt fit, make it fit. use a BFG. :mad:

Back