• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Three Car Seats

JimXJ2000

NAXJA Forum User
Probably should have looked into this a few months ago...but does anyone have three child car seats in the back of their XJ?

We have a 5 yr old, 2 yr old and in a few more days a newborn. I tried getting all the seats in the back over the weekend. It is a very tight fit, if we don't use the baby seat with the detachable base, which we would like to use.

Anyone know of a car seat maker that makes narrower seats, the 5 and 2 year old both have very wide seats with all the plastic stuff on the sides (arm rests, etc).

The 5 year old uses the jeep's seat belt with a booster seat, but with the three seats in the back he won't be able to reach the clip at the back of the seat. If we could extend the belt part from the back of the seat 3 or 4 inches then he could reach. Does anyone make a short belt extension like that?

Thanks for your help.

How close is the 5-year old to not needing a carseat? Not to get personal, but how big is your wife? We ended up with my son in a seat up front and my now-ex and two girls together in the back; I think the older girl ended up in the outboard seat so the youngest was next to her Mom. That was in an 89 though so there was no airbag on the passenger side.

JimXJ2000 said:
If we could extend the belt part from the back of the seat 3 or 4 inches then he could reach. Does anyone make a short belt extension like that?

Thanks for your help.

I have a couple of extenders for my kids. I got them at the dealers for both our station wagon and the XJ. I think they were intended for the "waist line challenged" among us, but they work for exactly what you want. They were in a big parts bin at a dealer parts dept. in WA. There is no part # on mine, but I bet the counter guy could help you out.

the dealer should have those extended belts.. as well as a long one that tethers the child seat back to the floor of the cargo area.. they have a kit for this.. (or at least did) the laws here in Massachusetts say up to 40# in a saftey seat.. and up to 60# in a booster seat.. i was soooo happy when my kids grew out of their seats... and so were they.. at that point they were riding in the rear of my TJ.... felt safer with them on the seat belted rather than wobbling around in a taller seat...
congrats on the new addition!!!!!

Back