• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj problem

DaltonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1991 XJ 2.5L. engine blew about 2 years ago replaced the engine with a 1985 XJ 2.5L. I used all the MPI components that where factory. the XJ was only 2wd. this year I started working for a junkyard and my boss gave me a 86 XJ 2.5L carberated 4x4 to convert my XJ to 4WD got everything installed was unable to use the MPI so switched to carberated. the XJ starts and runs the only problem is after about 5 - 6 miles it starts to cut out and die.after it dies it will start right back up. but feels like it is not getting fuel. but it will run in idle no problem and will run if i give it gas in park.. like I said it will last for about 5 - 6 miles then start acting up...

any help would be great this is the only problem i am haveing after the 2wd to 4wd convertion of the XJ 2.5L manual to auto...

Thanks Dalton

Oh, man! Why, oh why did you swap out an MPFI engine for a carbed engine? You didn't need to touch the engine, all you have to do was pull the 2WD tranny and bolt the 4WD tranny up to the engine.

The 2.5L carb was a true POS. It is computer controlled, I don{t know if you knew that. It uses an oxygen sensor and the ECU controls the air-fuel mix and the timing. Those carbs are notorious for disassembling themselves. There's a top section and a base, and often the internal screws holding them together loosen due to vibration.

If you still have all the MPFI equipment, reinstall it.

sorry but the Manual 2WD tranny had a CPS (Crank Position Sensor) and the '86 Auto has no CPS.. the CPS controled the Distributor, Fuel injection puls on the MPI.. so i didn't have a choice.. and also the fuel injection wasn't working very good it would cut out going down the high way...

Dalton

Re: Xj problem '91 XJ sold

This is no longer a problem this xj has been sold and replaced with a '88 4.0L Auto 4x4...

Thank s again

Back