• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best place to buy a rebuilt engine

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
OK. Searched so I'll ask now. I have an 88 4.0 with 250,000 miles. Where is the best place to get a rebuilt motor or should I just pull it and have it rebuilt. I have rebuilt a 4.2L in the past but I have no desire to do that again.

Jasper engines, they do a very good job or rebuilding them and the kit they send with the rebuild comes with alot of new external bolt on parts, they also have a very good warranty that covers labor in the event of a failure. We have on in our Oldsmobile going on two years now, runs well. The shop that does it also has alot to do with the quality. I seem to remember our olds was $3000 for the whole thing but that olds is loaded and there was alot of labor involved in getting all the 'stuff' out of the way and then having to reinstall it...

If you rebuild it yourself it will probably cost the SAME to stroke it...depending on how far you want to take it.

Doesn't Kragen offer these already rebuilt? Maybe the quality is poor, I have no idea. These are not too hard to remove / install right? Looks fairly simple compared to my Honda. :)

I had a friend of mine buy a fairly low mileage engine from a junk yard and had a local shop install it. He even got a warranty. This was very cost effective.

Man, you have to shop around in your area. We can all recommend somewhere but what good does that do you if you are on the opposite coast.

If your like me, you like to see what you are getting when spending money like that, so no thanks on teh mail order crate motors. Pull the engine, have it rebuilt, put it back in. Cost probably the same after you have a shop put a crate motor in for you.

My rebuild cost me about $2000, parts and labor, good high quality parts, and i have all the detailed measurements and receipts for every piece put in. New steel crankshaft, camshaft, harmonic balancer, to name a few of the more costly parts, and a 60 over bore job. Helps when you know the builder too, visited him several times at the shop when working on my motor. I pulled and put the motor back in myself, let him fire and tune it.

Before this i looked into crate motors, used with minimal guarantee motors, dealership used and new replacement, and decided this to be the best route within my budget. I chose to make a few shortcuts too on sensors fuel injectors......dont do that, put in new stuff, well worth it down the road.

Cory

csr_011 said:
Man, you have to shop around in your area. We can all recommend somewhere but what good does that do you if you are on the opposite coast.

If your like me, you like to see what you are getting when spending money like that, so no thanks on teh mail order crate motors. Pull the engine, have it rebuilt, put it back in. Cost probably the same after you have a shop put a crate motor in for you.

My rebuild cost me about $2000, parts and labor, good high quality parts, and i have all the detailed measurements and receipts for every piece put in. New steel crankshaft, camshaft, harmonic balancer, to name a few of the more costly parts, and a 60 over bore job. Helps when you know the builder too, visited him several times at the shop when working on my motor. I pulled and put the motor back in myself, let him fire and tune it.

Before this i looked into crate motors, used with minimal guarantee motors, dealership used and new replacement, and decided this to be the best route within my budget. I chose to make a few shortcuts too on sensors fuel injectors......dont do that, put in new stuff, well worth it down the road.

Cory

That was/is probably my plan. I have no problem pulling and installing a motor so I am leaning that way. I have installed a Quadratec motor in a TJ also, but I do not see the pre-HO motors on their site. Thanks all for the input.
Dan

i have dealt with ATK engines and i have about 40,000 on this motor no problems and the way there delivery works they come and pick it up and drop it off very smoothly. and from what i saw around by me that was the cheapiest route for a complete long block

goleen sp* engine makes a stroker long block for 3200 i beleive 4.6L looks good to me and i wheeled with one of the guys that works there seemed nice enough and smart enough to get my money for an engine. 3200 seems a little high for a rebuild but after all it is a stroker. just an option check um out i think they are on the web.

Back