• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch master cylinder for 1984 XJ

SV1CEC

NAXJA Forum User
Folks,

My 1984 XJ clutch master cylinder is going south, I can see some clutch fluid inside the cabin (I know, not good for the electrics box right behind and underneath it). The XJ has a T-5 gear box with the external slave cylinder (changed a few months ago).

The local spare parts suppliers do not have such a master cylinder available, and they are not sure what else would fit.

Any ideas? Any part numbers?

Rgds

Well......

I did some quick research and the 84-85 had the same bore 3/4 bore. In 86 it changed to 11/16. It changed just about every time there was an engine change. If you need one and I can help just let em know. I'll get one and shipp it to you if you need it done that way. You pay of course. There are rebuild kits available. Have you tried any of the big parts houses that are online? Advanced Auto, NAPA, or Autozone?

New Master

Get a new one, they don't rebuild well. NAPA has one for $75 dollars and I got mine fron Autozone a couple of months ago for $65. Same thing as Ghost, just let is know and we'll get it shipped.

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your offer to help with this problem, I sincerely appreciate it. However, there is a slight problem, due to my location. How can I pay you guys for what you buy for me?

Thank God, I have my good friend, Eagle. I am sure he will take care of that minor issue, like he has several others before.

As for the rebuilding kits, I know they exist there, here, well, it's another story. I think a new part would be a preferable solution. And I have to do it quickly if I do not want the clutch fluid to destroy my fuse box.

Could either of you guys please verify that the proper part number for Autozone is 11957?

Again, many thanks for your offer to help.

Kind regards

Re: New Master

HossHoffer said:
Get a new one, they don't rebuild well. NAPA has one for $75 dollars and I got mine fron Autozone a couple of months ago for $65. Same thing as Ghost, just let is know and we'll get it shipped.

Hoss --

Do you get a discount from Auto Zone? I just checked the web site for John and the price they show for the #11957 (which is the listing for an '84 4-cyl) is $102.99

The easyest way.......

Would be with Pay-pal. You can set up an account that draws the money off a Credit card or Checking account. It works well but since Ebay bought them they charge the reciever. At least that is what I have noticed.

Ghost,

I am currently trying to figure a way for Eagle to get that part, but it looks as if his local Autozone is charging 100$ for it, so it is out of the question. Autozone's web site is also a pain, it won't let me buy the thing unless I give them a "State", which of course Greece doesn't have, so I e-mailed them to find out how to do it.

If all else fails, can you please tell me how much money I should "Pay-pal" to you for buying the part and sending it to Eagle in CT?

Rgds and again many thanks

Wow!!!!!!

When I got mine a couple of years ago it was like $75. But it looks like they have gone up.

Advanced Auto Parts:

Tru Torque CM39723
Cylinder Assembly; 3/4" Bore
1 Year Replacement Warranty Ships in 1 day
Weight: 3.3 lbs.
$102.99

Here is a semi local dealer: I got my replacement Harmonic balancer from them.
http://www.ironman4wd.com/Index.asp You might want to shoot them an e-mail. They are a Omix-Ada dealer.

1984-85 4 OR 1984 V6 XJ CHEROKEE 52000068 $58.95

And finally NAPA:

Product Name
Item #
Price
Select Item

NAPA United Clutch Master Cylinder
Usually ships in 24 hours. UBP
39723 $ 154.00

Tru-Stop Brake Parts Clutch Master Cylinder
Usually ships in 24 hours. UTS
4539723 $ 74.99

HTH some. Let me know if I can help. I do have a couple of masters in my shop that do not leak but I am unsure what their condition is. I ended up getting one from a junk yard and never using it and the other is my original that actually was not the problem that I was having.

Ghost,

First of all, many thanks for your help, really appreciated.

I just ordered one from 4WD for around 65$. The thing is they do not have it in stock, so it might take them some time to have it shipped to Eagle.

If you can spare one of your masters, maybe you could put it in a box and send it to Eagle, so that if the other one takes a long time, he can ship me yours asap?

I can give you Eagle's address via your e-mail.

Rgds and again many thanks

Out of town

Sorry I've been out of town. I'm happy to see that you got it taken care of and will be glad to lend a hand in the future.

I, thank you Sir!

Rgds

Back