• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Build Needs Help

ninewon

NAXJA Forum User
Let me first say thanks helping me out.
To start.... I have a 99 xj that has 76k miles on it. It came stock with Dana 30HP in front and a 35 in back with a np 242 and an aw4. The gears are 3.55
I saved my pennies for some time to build a solid adventure rig to get away when I can.
I found a Dana 44 for the rear from an 87 xj.
Since I have no shop and my skills are fair, yet not expert I chose to have a 4x4 shop I felt was reputable to do the work so I can be sure it’s right.
It was suggested, and I accepted, new nitro 4.11 ring and pinion front and rear. I also got new nitro rear axles. And Tera flex disc brakes.
No I’m not made of money... I just wanted a clean new build to start from.
The rig was lifted with rubicon express 3.5 super flex and an advance adapters SYE.
New front ball joints, and any other suspension/steering parts that it needed.

Now here is the rub.... they had the rig for 2 weeks (14 solid days) and I couldn’t afford the rental car anymore. They said it was safe to drive yet needed some adjustments.
Got going down the road about 10 miles and as I slowed to a stop I have a whirring noise on deceleration. I called them and was told it might need the 4 degree axle shims changed to 6 degree shim. Also the new disc brakes are setting in. As the truck got warmer the noise got louder on deceleration. I took it back and they added new longer leaf pins and 6 degree shims.
I head out again and now it sounds and feels like I’m driving on super swampers on acceleration and cruising and the whirring is even louder on deceleration to a stop.
As I drove it that day the whirring is all the time now. Acceleration and deceleration.
Cold or warm.
I called them and was told that there might be something wrong in my transfer case...yet there was nothing wrong before I handed it off to them.
Also told the shims are at their max and the next step is to re weld the spring pirches to get better angle.
I’m at a loss. Is it SYE, transfer case, spring shims & pirches, or did the ring and pinion get set up wrong. Still can’t get an answer from them.
I Need to take it back to get sorted out or it’s all a waste.
I’d like to get some feedback from everyone on possibly what the problem is.
I’d like to trust this shop to do right.... and I’d like to learn more
Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like a good investment would be a "angle finder". That allow you easy verification of some of the work. As for gears, you could pull the cover and run a pattern check.

You also didn't mention anything about your driveshaft?

I’m thinking of pulling the cover to check for any wear patterns because it’s getting worse.
It’s got a new Adams HD Driveshaft, Double cardon.
I understand the axle must be angled up, yet 6 degrees already. Close to parallel.
What gets me is it makes noise at first start from a dead stop as if something is rubbing or to tight.
My conscious says I should be fair and let them try to fix it.
I’d really like to understand it as best I can so I don’t look like a complete sucker.

That’s my thought as well. My last contact with shop I was told it’s something wrong with transfer case. It doesn’t make any noise in neutral coasting backward down a hill. Only under acceleration moving forwards.

I plan on borrowing a infrared heat gun from a friend tomorrow and see what is cooking after 10 miles. That’s about as far as I can drive it before it gets so loud I fear I might seize something.

The actual angle doesn't matter, your diagram is close but doesn't compensate for torque, that you'll have to fine tune. What makes you think it's the rear?

Same sound during driving as my 89 xj and I know that rear end is spent.
I’m guessing they are not willing to admit that someone drove it 92 miles more than the mileage I took it in there with... without it set up right.

The actual angle doesn't matter, your diagram is close but doesn't compensate for torque, that you'll have to fine tune. What makes you think it's the rear?

The angle they handed it to me with was with the pinion at almost horizontal to the road and said that it was right

The angle they handed it to me with was with the pinion at almost horizontal to the road and said that it was right

As I think about it... To be fair I should wait to see what the shop says on Monday. I’m just a bit upset they had it 2 weeks and I got problems in return.

Out of curiosity, have you checked the diff fluids to see if there's anything odd in there?

I don’t want to mess with it. Don’t want to open the door to for them to say...
“You messed with it, you caused the problem”
The breather tube for the axle is about 2 ft long and oil is sputtering out occasionally on a freeway drive. I’d imagine that’s a good sign it’s full.

Did you and the shop have any sort discussion on warranty for their work before they started? Does sound like a bad gear job. Did you buy gears from them?

you can try to isolate the sound(s), but at the end of the day, you gave them a perfectly functioning vehicle. Spent a wad of cash and now have something definitely wrong with your rig. they took it for quite a few joy rides as well. Start getting serious on documenting everything if you haven't already. '

Did they mention breaking in the gears? i.e. how not to drive it while they're fresh?

let us know what they say

Last edited:
Transfer case gone through and no issues. They suggested relocating the spring pirches to get better angle adjustment. I suggested transfer case drop to check that theory, before things start getting cut up. That was yesterday.

Got it back today 1/2 inch of transfer case drop to see if it helps. The pinion is at about
2 degrees now. They tore the entire axle apart and installed new bearings. They said the teraflex discs were designed for the TJ not the old XJ 44. The outer wheels bearings needed more pre load because the race bell is larger on the old 44. Adjusted everything. Runs smoothe no vibes except on deceleration. There is some whirring. Could that be the Nitro ring and pinion chirping.?.
I’m told... mechanically, everything is right we’re it should be and they’re not sure what else can be done.
I know XJ’s make noise. I’ve just never had noise on a new set up before.
I’m half tempted to take it to an axle shop and get another opinion. Only thing is that there is noise and that might open up the door to more $$ I can’t afford at present.
Anyone else got mild whirring on a new axle rebuild???

Back