• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smittybuilt XRC rear bumper, modded for a hilift/jerry can

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I thought I would show off my rear bumper that I picked up used. I got it cheap so I put my home built rear bumper project on hold to use this one. I will say, it mounts very solid and should hold up to what ever i do to it.

Since im getting older I do less rock crawling and more expedition stuff so the bumper allows me to carry more stuff inside the Jeep and still utilize the back set for grandkids.

I had to mod the mounts to fit with my shackle boxes but installation was straight forward otherwise.

I had heard that a full size jerry can would not fit the mount in the bumper and that a hilift was always in the way mounted horizontally. So I thought I would post up some pics of my mods. I also tilted the spare to match the rear window contour. I still need to mount my tag/third brake light(going in the center of the spare) but its done otherwise.

Jerry can mount mod. I had to cut the mount for a can to slide in
IMG_20160630_125318187.jpg

IMG_20160630_125434759.jpg

I then modded the other side to fit a hilift vertical.

IMG_20160716_1313165321.jpg

Finished product

IMG_20160716_131307219.jpg

Tilted the spare
IMG_20160716_131811698_1.jpg

IMG_20160723_072319.jpg

IMG_20160731_140107487.jpg

IMG_20160731_140118490.jpg

IMG_20160731_140136914.jpg

I like it, looks good. The only con I see is how far back the spare sits. That rack/roof slider is cool too

The xrc I got came with mounts to run the jack horizontal.....pain in the butt....hits the hatch easily if you don't swing the gate far enough over. Nice job on yours

The jack doubles as a flag pole. It looks like it's a lot taller than the roofline but it's only 10" higher. That jack has the tall version do a standard HiLift would be a good bit shorter

Looks good. I'm running the same bumper. Curious, what lift/tire combo are you running. Looks like what I am shooting for....thanks.

The lift is whatever I could pick up cheap, mostly good stuff though.

Rear;

HD Offroad shackle boxes, RE 3.5 springs, 2" lift shackles(don't know the brand), Nitrocharger shocks, relocated shock mounts, RuffStuff HD truss, Yukon shafts, Yukon 4.88 gears cryogenic treated, Ox Locker

Front;

RE 3.5" springs, ACOS adjusters, JKS johnny jointed lower arms, Iron Offroad johnny jointed uppers, RE drop brackets, home made front truss, 4.88 Yukon gears cryogenic treated, full case Detroit, RCV shafts, Nitrocharger shocks

35" tires

Back