NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 2nd, 2018, 20:54
NAXJA Member

Re: Projext "V8 XJ" Build

I ran into this on mine recently. Little different but I but new springs on mine, the way I had my shackles it sat crazy tall in the back. I eyeballed some new mounts, burned em on all looked ok, little more angle than I wanted but not terrible. After a few runs and the springs settled they were doing like yours. I didn't want to cut new mounts out and cut off the old ones so I cut the shackles in half and spliced in a 1in long piece of 2x2 tube. Plated em up and it fixed the angle. But now it sits high in the back again. It wasn't the best option but it was quick and it works.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 23:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxon Valdez Jeep View Post
Can the no lift brackets be flipped around, reversed?
No I actually need the lift back that regular shackle boxes would supply. I'll probably get in contact with Brian at HD Offroad (Brian Right??)
Old October 3rd, 2018, 18:58
Sierra Chapter Treasurer

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

I would move the frame shackle mount location back one more. I know it looks like you will loose lift. But i bet it will get the shackle angle back closer where it needs to be. I have the same relocation kit with longer than stock leafs. I used the boostwerks shackle to gain back a bit if lift. But the nolift boxes helped a ton with rear body roll. Not sure why but body roll was way better with them than the previous setup with the drop boxes and same leafs and shorter shackles.
Old October 4th, 2018, 01:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordoSmasho View Post
I would move the frame shackle mount location back one more. I know it looks like you will loose lift. But i bet it will get the shackle angle back closer where it needs to be. I have the same relocation kit with longer than stock leafs. I used the boostwerks shackle to gain back a bit if lift. But the nolift boxes helped a ton with rear body roll. Not sure why but body roll was way better with them than the previous setup with the drop boxes and same leafs and shorter shackles.
I actually tried. The nut for the shackle wonít fit. Thereís a Bend right behind that hole and the nit wonít actually sit flush. Iíll probably just fab up something simple and bolt in.
Old October 4th, 2018, 02:01
NAXJA Forum User

Ok so hereís the ďfew hour crossmemberĒ. I actually like the way it turned out and really donít see a need to change it. Itís just a 27Ē piece of 2x6 3/16 wall. Cut some 45ís in it so we can actuallly get to the bolts:

Drilled a couple of new holes:

And mounted it up! Iíll try to grab a daytime picture tomorrow. I drilled a couple of more holes in the middle for the transmission mount and weíre in business:
Old October 4th, 2018, 02:02
NAXJA Forum User

The cuts came out pretty clean. This was the first time using my Evolution Rage cold cut saw. I will say though. It flings a TON of hot metal everywhere.
Old October 4th, 2018, 02:05
NAXJA Forum User

Oh and a braided line broke on my today. Went to test the fuel system and on the back frame rail I had a massive fuel leak. When I disconnected the rear brake hose I just have smashed the braided line or something. I don’t have time to replace the entire hose so I’m just going to splice in a repaired line and it should work perfectly.
Old October 5th, 2018, 18:33
Sierra Chapter Treasurer

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
I actually tried. The nut for the shackle wonít fit. Thereís a Bend right behind that hole and the nit wonít actually sit flush. Iíll probably just fab up something simple and bolt in.

You have to notch that original shackle mount back before you install the box. Part of the install instructions i think. I ended up using that same hole.
Old October 5th, 2018, 18:36
Sierra Chapter Treasurer

Projext "V8 XJ" Build

Crossmember looks good. Very similar to how mine turned out when i swapped in my atlas.
Old October 5th, 2018, 22:48
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
You have to notch that original shackle mount back before you install the box. Part of the install instructions i think. I ended up using that same hole.
I honestly donít think that will give me enough. Iíll try it eventually. I might just have to dab some drop brackets that bolt into the no lifts.

Quote:
Crossmember looks good. Very similar to how mine turned out when i swapped in my atlas.
Yea itís super simple. But itíll work just fine.
Old October 5th, 2018, 22:49
NAXJA Forum User

It’s out of the garage for the first time in 2 years!
Old October 6th, 2018, 05:14
NAXJA Forum User

nice!
Old October 6th, 2018, 08:51
NAXJA Forum User

congrats man!
Old October 14th, 2018, 07:43
NAXJA Forum User

We made it to Dallas! It was a long couple of days but we’ve landed. The Jeep is probably going to sit for a few months without any work. We’re in a rental house and we’re just waiting on our Vegas home to close. Once it does we’ll buy our own home and then work cannstart again