• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Importance of Front Skid Plate?

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
How important is the factory front skid plate?

I am having a debate right now if I should keep it off or reinstall it. I dont really want to reinstall because it will take some modifications for it to clear my steering. It was nice in that it kept muddy water from splashing on the alternator but that was about it. Whats your opinion?

AARON

Pic of my Jeep:
DSC00034.JPG

I have had mine off for 2 years and have had no problems. I say leave it off and hose off the mud every once in awhile and you'll be fine. :D

f94f1773.jpg

Last edited:
It would make a good paper weight for Paul Bunyon. Or it will assure that working on your steering linkage will be more of a hassle. It will help add weight to the front to maybe let the rig climb better. Can't think of any more redeeming qualities for it........I'd loose it and never look back.

Well I will say that mine has saved my tie rod from being made into a horse shoe. I was breaking trail with 14" of snow on it and didn't see a big rock covered by the snow. It hit the plate, when I got home I took the BFH to it and bent it back and have been happy with it ever since. But thats just my opinion.
Fletch
Vancouver CANADA EH

abz.jpg

I have 4" of lift and 31s. doesn't completely cover the tie rod but it helped that time (not time of pic, no damage there)
Also it gave me some where to put my discos

The mud down here in the Carolina's a little different than the stuff out west. It'll help keep the mud and snow from splashing up in thur', but I dont see much point in adding it back on. Also, here in NC, we dont get much snow, and as far as our mud goes,....it'll find a way to piss you off no matter what you add. But that just my 2 cents.
-John

I left mine on because is helps keep the splash cover in place and keeps water, mud and debris from splashing up into my engine bay. It all seems to be a matter of personal preference.....

ShipleyCSA said:
The mud down here in the Carolina's a little different than the stuff out west. It'll help keep the mud and snow from splashing up in thur', but I dont see much point in adding it back on. Also, here in NC, we dont get much snow, and as far as our mud goes,....it'll find a way to piss you off no matter what you add. But that just my 2 cents.
-John

lol! Well here in Alabama the mud usually isn't splashes its more like thick 2-4ft deep holes. The front skid is a good shovel when in reverse in the mud that loves to help you get stuck. Yeah leave it off.

The front skid is a MUST-HAVE item, here's why:

1) Matches the Mopar rear/gas tank skid perfectly to complete the set.

2) Gives your Cherokee that macho, no chin/big Adam's apple look.

3) Doubles as a detachable ramp, the ultimate compliment to your Hi-Lift jack.

4) Raises the front end at speed to scare off those pesky Porshe Cheyennes.

Last edited:
gearwhine said:
All I see is bumpsteer waiting to happen. Time to relocate your trackbar.

Yup, I was waiting for somebody to say something about this. Its on the list to fix but its all about the time I dont have. The Jeep isnt driven but once a week so I can live with the bump steer until this summer when I am out of school. I have thought about a different pitman arm with less of a drop than the stock XJ arm but havent really started to research it.

As for the tie rod, its 1.5" by .250 wall DOM so a little bump with a rock shouldnt hurt it. I am just worried about the alternator seeing water.

XJZ, Thats Great!:D

Thanks

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
I have thought about a different pitman arm with less of a drop than the stock XJ arm but havent really started to research it.
AARON

Keep the pitman arm, it will do squat to change it, and a raised one will make it worse anyway. You're trackbar is WAY longer than your draglink. Keep the pitman arm, make a new tracbar out of your 1/5" tube that is about the same length and angle as the draglink. _nicko_

Why would raising the pitman arm make it worse? Can you give some details please.

I agree with you that the track bar needs to be moved. Its just a matter of time.

AARON

ahh oops, thinking raising the track bar mount....well still, the new pitman arm (i'm not sure where you can get a shorter one) is still not gonna do anything drastic for you, won't even notice a difference.

I'm still looking for one if somebody wants to get rid of theirs cheap (free?). I run a small lift and hope to drop the skid an inch or so from its stock location. I don't do deep mud, but I've had the prob of branches get lodged between the motor and axle.
I'm in WNC, give me yours and I'll pick it up or pay the shipping!

-mike

Back