• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88`s and 35s ?

wow thanks i just wanted to get some posts in but i get people with suck everywere thanks again

aww, you are just upset you dont have any friends

Untitled.jpg

i wonder why...

Dang it---back on topic
I run bfg at 35" size with 4.88 gears-NV3550 trans.YES I wheel in the woods.Uwharrie actualy.Great combo-hiway speeds at 75 mph is 3000 rpm's-hills have no effect up or down-I get 16-18 mpg on the hiway too.I think the 4.0 i have really likes to spin 2500 rpm and up-makes a good amount of power there.

No problems with the acorn sized pinion?

4.88's ain't the issue hive seen broken pinoins, carriers and ring gears on many diff d30 gears (3.73,4.10,4.56,4.88) and I've also seen 4.88.s hold up to 36" tires and severe abuse(one with stock carrier and lockrite other with arb) I guess its more of the luck of the draw

No problems with the acorn sized pinion?

i run 5.38's in a low pinion 44 and the internets told me i was dumb.

well ive broken A LOT of shafts and a detroit locker before i stripped my ring gear. and i stripped it on 35's when both tires were bound up real bad.

I now run 38's on the same axle. i still beat on it hard , but from experience i know what cause breakage and when i should let off.

Just wondering, I managed to pop ring gear teeth off on a 4.10 gearset in an open D30
So I am a little leery of R+P failures now.

Just wondering, I managed to pop ring gear teeth off on a 4.10 gearset in an open D30
So I am a little leery of R+P failures now.

open carriers tend to flex
stock dana30 housings tend to flex.

this leads to pinion deflection (when binding up or under throttle the pinion gear wants to push away from the ring gear)

that is why a 14 bolt (or similar axle) is badass. There is a third bearing on a snout at the tip of the pinion gear that greatly reduces deflection due to torque loading.

Sadly there just isn't space for something like that in smaller axles, or axles with a low hypoid offset. The larger the axle is or the higher the hypoid offset is, the more space there is available in the housing to design in a third pinion bearing.

that is why a 14 bolt (or similar axle) is badass. There is a third bearing on a snout at the tip of the pinion gear that greatly reduces deflection due to torque loading.

Sadly there just isn't space for something like that in smaller axles, or axles with a low hypoid offset. The larger the axle is or the higher the hypoid offset is, the more space there is available in the housing to design in a third pinion bearing.

I always wondered about that and why Dana never did that. Then I saw this picture (14B left - 4.11, D60 right - 4.10)

IMG_3228.jpg

I'd imagine GM did it because the spacing between the inner/outer pinion bearings is next to nothing, while Dana has inches between the two providing sufficient support?

I always wondered about that and why Dana never did that. Then I saw this picture (14B left - 4.11, D60 right - 4.10)

IMG_3228.jpg

I'd imagine GM did it because the spacing between the inner/outer pinion bearings is next to nothing, while Dana has inches between the two providing sufficient support?
And then you didn't add any picture so you look like a fool. :looser:

IMG_3228.jpg

this is not the picture you are looking for *hand wave*

apparently pirate4x4 doesn't allow hotlinking :roflmao:

You've got a good point, but I'd still rather see the bearings straddling the actual gear than both behind it.

edit: seemingly they do allow hotlinking. But their DNS issues aren't fixed yet, so unless you work around it or aren't experiencing the problems in the first place, you won't see the picture.

Last edited:
Back